Balanced output polarity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So here's the scenario...

I've been working on a project that, when finished, will consist of a fully analog system (except for my CD player) comprized of a preamp with a balanced output to a three way active crossover with a balanced reciever input, and LM3886 chip amps to drive the speakers. The crossovers and chip amps will be built into the speaker stands.
The circuit topology of the preamp has an inverted output by standard pin-out convention unless I add an inverting stage, which I would rather avoid.
Here's my question... Is it acceptable to reverse the connections to pins 2 and 3 on the preamp's output connector to "un-invert" it's output polarity? Are there any unintended consequences to doing this? It seems to me it should work just fine unless I'm missing something.

Mike

Yeah, I've never heard a difference either, and if it's necessary to use specific types of signals or waveforms to just barely hear it, I'm not too worried about it.
But, the OCD part of me demands that it's done "right", so I'm just wondering if there are any issues with swapping pins 2 and 3 should I decide to go that way?

Mike

Some CD players had an invert switch.
The belief was that the phase of the CD could be reversed during production and the switch allowed one to check which polarity sounded right.

If you do reverse the Pins 2 & 3, then clearly label the device.
Or make it switchable.

Yeah, I've never heard a difference either, and if it's necessary to use specific types of signals or waveforms to just barely hear it, I'm not too worried about it.
But, the OCD part of me demands that it's done "right", so I'm just wondering if there are any issues with swapping pins 2 and 3 should I decide to go that way?

Mike
Balanced output gives opportunity to switch select system/acoustic polarity.
My system runs polarity switches next to the Dac output sockets.

IMO polarity switching is mandatory....not all recordings are in the one polarity (pretty random actually).
If your system is decent you should have no problem hearing difference according to polarity on most recordings....one acoustic polarity sounds correct, the opposite polarity sounds plain wrong.

Dan.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm aware that I can address this "issue" at various stages in the signal path including simply reversing the speaker connections, but I just was curious about whether any possible unkown (to me) problems could occur if I flipped the standard balanced output wiring to keep the preamp non-inverting from input to output, that way I can avoid adding an additional stage in the signal path to "git 'er done" (and keep those pesky little internal OCD voices from mocking me for my inadequacies. :rolleyes: )

As far as my ability to hear absolute polarity I consider myself blessed...I can't hear any difference, so I don't worry about it. :D

So I'm probably going to just reverse the hot and cold at the output connector and move on.

The other "pressing" issue right now is funding, this monster has taken way longer to build than I originally thought due to collapsing economies, lost employment, life issues...now days it seems there's always too much month left over at the end of the money. (sigh :()

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.