Bad news for ham radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If that's about their fire warning system, I don't think ham radio suffers from that bone headed decision, it's public safety that will suffer.

We are well utilized around here. Even the control tower called us the last time a spur popped up on one of the local approach frequencies.

Report Causes Concern and Confusion in California’s Amateur Radio Ranks

"ARRL officials who have also looked into the situation agree that it’s been blown out of proportion by parties with their own agendas."

This is a calmer look at the situation:
There Is No Such Thing As Free Rack Space

There are politically motivated folks out there that will say or spin anything to bash California. The viral video linked appears to be in that vein, the comments on it take the manufactured outrage up several notches.

From the ARRL link above:

" ... the Department no longer financially supports HAM operators [sic] radios or tenancy. If you desire to enter into a formal agreement to operate and maintain said equipment, you must complete and submit attached collocation application along with fee as outlined on page one of application. There is cost associated with getting an agreement in place."

... “Our contact in the California Office of Emergency Services suggests that, if any affected repeater is in any way involved with local emergency or government support activity, they should ask that agency to engage with CAL FIRE concerning the repeater. If the agency makes the case, there is a good chance that the repeater will be unaffected,” Tiemstra added. ( my emphasis added )

Seems pretty clear. They want money.

If they based it on technical or interference standards, or even security of who comes and goes at the site, closer scrutiny of the repeaters might make some sense.

If ARRL intended this to be some kind of reassurance that the local networks would remain in place, I doubt very many were reassured.

I'm the vice president of the club at my university, and I can say that we spend a lot of time trying to get the university to cooperate.

Nothing short of a threat from the FCC will get the university to fix problems with their equipment, no matter how serious the interference, and I sometimes wonder if they'd even budge at that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.