Babelfish XA252 / Babelfish XA252 SIT / Babelfish XA252 SET

Attachments

• A0664-PINK-FLOYD-Animals--large.jpg
    A0664-PINK-FLOYD-Animals--large.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: 1 user
5U/500 for stereo, if you want to exploit full potential of amp

4U/400 new monoblock case , if you don't need full blast

my friend made stereo in regular Dissipante 4U/400, with Iq of 1A and it works as bliss, with his sensitive and efficient spks
Do you happen to have hd graphs at Lq of 1A (presumably +-30vdc)? A single 600VA trafo would be sufficient for running this at 1.7A, correct? (1.7*30*2)*2 channels=204.

Two to three times the power consumption would be 400 to 600VA.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I didn't made any measurements at 1A of Iq nor I intend to do that (lazy or not wanting to promote idea?)

though, I believe my friend when he's saying that there is no difference to speak of, with his sensitive speakers

he's having exactly the same as shown here: https://www.zenmod.in.rs/sonido-15-way-speakers-by-zm-woland-edition/

amp is made to operate in bracket of 30Vdc to 35Vdc per rail

if you go for 30vdc, there is opening to use 35Vdc caps in cap bank, they will endure wiith ease short unbiased ampp condition during power up sequence, when rails are unloaded
if you go for 35Vdc, you must resort to 50Vdc caps as minimum

taking in account usual multiplication factor of 1.25 (AC to DC), applicable to heavy loaded rectification/filtering block, that calls for 24Vac secondaries in first case, or 28Vac secondaries in second case

give or take half a volt, who cares

now, targeted Iq is 1A7, but remember - due to Square Law transfer function , number isn't exactly carved in stone - it can be lowered without much penalty ( no louder KlunK!)

so, 35Vdc rails, 1A7 Iq ; that's 119VA; doable with Modu 5U/500 (Babysitter during Summer just for ease of sleep and prolonged caps life)

say that I'm Chicken, so no less than 300VA of Donut power per channel

will you go with two of that size or one double - your choice

if Cheapskates of Yore, producing Tube amps in numbers, could use common cathode resistors for both OS channels, there is no reason one can't use common PSU for both amp channels - it increases organicity of sound and it enlarges Mono Base ( coherence of Soundscape )

matter of choice, but let's make it informed (choice)

:)

- sorta important detail - advisable to use separate secondaries/one bridge per secondary arrangement; as with majority of my little amps, also in case of Babelfish XA252 SET and Babelfish XA252 SIT - dynamic loading of rails is not uniform - result of complementary connected output devices not exactly being complementary, so having different/wakoo transfer characteristic

let's phrase it differently - whenever you have proper mosfet in one rail and SIT or Schaded mosfet in another rail, proper mosfet is having greater xconductance than it's partner

that resulting in greater dynamic loading of rail where proper mosfet is situated

so, if there is usual power xformer arrangement - center tapped secondary, entire rails loading difference will transpose to Center Tap ( used as Audio Gnd) , and xformer - happy stupid critter - is subjected to see it as nothing else as intermittent DC

We all know that xformers don't like DC and completely normal consequence is nothing else than buzz ........ and spoiling of xformer transfer characteristic

spoiling is going to result in spoiling AC coming from transformer, putting garbage back in rails, so some smearing of supposedly beautiful Soundscape ......

go figure

wouldn't be easier that I really ended as Construction Engineer, instead of messing with multilegged fuses in Papaland ?

:rofl:

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't made any measurements at 1A of Iq nor I intend to do that (lazy or not wanting to promote idea?)

though, I believe my friend when he's saying that there is no difference to speak of, with his sensitive speakers

he's having exactly the same as shown here: https://www.zenmod.in.rs/sonido-15-way-speakers-by-zm-woland-edition/

amp is made to operate in bracket of 30Vdc to 35Vdc per rail

if you go for 30vdc, there is opening to use 35Vdc caps in cap bank, they will endure wiith ease short unbiased ampp condition during power up sequence, when rails are unloaded
if you go for 35Vdc, you must resort to 50Vdc caps as minimum

taking in account usual multiplication factor of 1.25 (AC to DC), applicable to heavy loaded rectification/filtering block, that calls for 24Vac secondaries in first case, or 28Vac secondaries in second case

give or take half a volt, who cares

now, targeted Iq is 1A7, but remember - due to Square Law transfer function , number isn't exactly carved in stone - it can be lowered without much penalty ( no louder KlunK!)

so, 35Vdc rails, 1A7 Iq ; that's 119VA; doable with Modu 5U/500 (Babysitter during Summer just for ease of sleep and prolonged caps life)

say that I'm Chicken, so no less than 300VA of Donut power per channel

will you go with two of that size or one double - your choice

if Cheapskates of Yore, producing Tube amps in numbers, could use common cathode resistors for both OS channels, there is no reason one can't use common PSU for both amp channels - it increases organicity of sound and it enlarges Mono Base ( coherence of Soundscape )

matter of choice, but let's make it informed (choice)

:)

- sorta important detail - advisable to use separate secondaries/one bridge per secondary arrangement; as with majority of my little amps, also in case of Babelfish XA252 SET and Babelfish XA252 SIT - dynamic loading of rails is not uniform - result of complementary connected output devices not exactly being complementary, so having different/wakoo transfer characteristic

let's phrase it differently - whenever you have proper mosfet in one rail and SIT or Schaded mosfet in another rail, proper mosfet is having greater xconductance than it's partner

that resulting in greater dynamic loading of rail where proper mosfet is situated

so, if there is usual power xformer arrangement - center tapped secondary, entire rails loading difference will transpose to Center Tap ( used as Audio Gnd) , and xformer - happy stupid critter - is subjected to see it as nothing else as intermittent DC

We all know that xformers don't like DC and completely normal consequence is nothing else than buzz ........ and spoiling of xformer transfer characteristic

spoiling is going to result in spoiling AC coming from transformer, putting garbage back in rails, so some smearing of supposedly beautiful Soundscape ......

go figure

wouldn't be easier that I really ended as Construction Engineer, instead of messing with multilegged fuses in Papaland ?

:rofl:
Babysitter is out of the question. Would 6U400 do it? 6U600 would for sure.

fans are for s*****s. Real men use big iron :rofl:

Last edited: