Aurum Cantus G1 Ribbon vs Faital Pro HF108

dave123

2004-06-01 6:58 pm
_
Hi guys
I'm working on a three way and I'm gonna use a tweeter +2.5khz over an 8" midrange. I have to candidates for tweeter but I'm in maze so I want to hear your ideas please. the overall sensitivity of speaker will be around 96db. cost is no object

option#1: Faital Pro HF108 compression driver

HF108_response_8.gif

HF108_photo_magnify.jpg

option#2: Aurum Cantus G1 Ribbon

[IMGDEAD]http://www.aurumcantus.com/aurumcantus-tweeter/images/G1-SPL.jpg[/IMGDEAD]
[IMGDEAD]https://www.parts-express.com/Data/Default/Images/Catalog/Original/276-420_HR_0.jpg[/IMGDEAD]

If you really, really, really plan to use a 2.5Khz crossover with a 96db/W 8" midrange, then:

Ribbon = exceptional detail + excellent dynamics + wide horizontal polar pattern at the crossover frequency.
Compression Driver = exceptional dynamics + excellent details + controlled polar pattern at the crossover frequency.

1) For "delicate cone" fullrange, you can time-align the ribbon to the 8" by using a deep cut into the baffle(double baffle) large enough for a loose beveled felt " absorpton waveguide" glued to the ribbon faceplate. If you angle cut a felt block around the ribbon, it can absorb and also shape the exit sound closer to the beaming pattern of the 8" at the crossover frequency.

2) if you want a smooth continuous controlled directivity pattern you will need a horn/waveguide with about 60h*40v control and a 0.75" compression driver which provides great detail up to 20Khz. like ME7 from BC speakers
-------
BAIL-OUT IDEA: The new SATORI TW29RN dome tweeter has 96db sensitivity.

dave123

_
If you really, really, really plan to use a 2.5Khz crossover with a 96db/W 8" midrange, then:

Ribbon = exceptional detail + excellent dynamics + wide horizontal polar pattern at the crossover frequency.
Compression Driver = exceptional dynamics + excellent details + controlled polar pattern at the crossover frequency.

1) For "delicate cone" fullrange, you can time-align the ribbon to the 8" by using a deep cut into the baffle(double baffle) large enough for a loose beveled felt " absorpton waveguide" glued to the ribbon faceplate. If you angle cut a felt block around the ribbon, it can absorb and also shape the exit sound closer to the beaming pattern of the 8" at the crossover frequency.

2) if you want a smooth continuous controlled directivity pattern you will need a horn/waveguide with about 60h*40v control and a 0.75" compression driver which provides great detail up to 20Khz. like ME7 from BC speakers
-------
BAIL-OUT IDEA: The new SATORI TW29RN dome tweeter has 96db sensitivity.

thanks
HF108 with STH100 horn seems better for controlled directivity.
does anyone know if Aurum Cantus G1 could be used as a dipole tweeter? I know some of AMT or Ribbons have symmetrical front and rear but I G1 doesn't look like this

dave123

_
thanks
HF108 with STH100 horn seems better for controlled directivity.
does anyone know if Aurum Cantus G1 could be used as a dipole tweeter? I know some of AMT or Ribbons have symmetrical front and rear but I G1 doesn't look like this

I'm answering my own question as I have my hands on G1 now. G1 is not symmetrical and could not be used and a dipole tweeter but it sounds damn good :eek: Oh dudes it's truly a hi-end ribbon I'm just amazed how good and detailed and musical and involving it sounds