• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

audionote schematic wanted !!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why? Is it for the sound or for the AN brand name? Sound you could probably clone (or even do better) but name - can you clone it?
Anyway I have thought to clone some AN amps myself but I think one should get an AN output trafos first in order to replicate a true AN.

Now:
OTO Line PP
12 watt Class A EL84 push-pull, line only integrated amplifier,
4 x ECC83, 4 x EL84

SORO Line PP
20 watt Class A 6L6G push-pull, line only integrated amplifier,
ECC82 x 2, 6SL7 x 2, 6L6G x 4

Quite a different beasts if you look at the valve complement, although the circuit topology should be same: paraphase input/phase splitter + driver stage + PP output
You can get a glimpse of the similar Kit 4 here http://audionotekits.espyderweb.net/kit4.htm

But sorry I don’t have schematics for either of these, only for
OTO SE and P2 PP
If you are interested, drop me a mail.

Cheers,

Argo

Hi ,thank for the info . i got a pair of Leak 20 output tranf and i like to built some ''modern sounding '' amplifier . this leak 20 ''sound'' ... too old for my taste !!! dull !!! any amplifier reckon ? UL , PP ,Class A or AB1 no problem !! thank

Audionote amplifiers, for example the ongaku is not worth cloning if you dont use the original components as in the original.
Im not only talking about the silver wire transformer, but all the caps, passive components which contribute to its sonics. If I ust say, the circuit design itself is no rocket science.

That is probably why you dont see a lot of those clones among DIY-ers. Not to discourage you, but you would probably have better results by cloning other amps.

AN clones

I suggest do the Audio Kit One. Schematics are all over the place. I and some friends have tried original Audio Note OPTs (the 2k5 input impedance/90mA), Tango 808 and the Tamuras.

Final tubes tried were the various Chinese and Sovteks, and some European 300Bs. One of these days, we'll try to buy/borrow the WE.

Great design

skyraider said:
Audionote amplifiers, for example the ongaku is not worth cloning if you dont use the original components as in the original.
Im not only talking about the silver wire transformer, but all the caps, passive components which contribute to its sonics. If I ust say, the circuit design itself is no rocket science.

That is probably why you dont see a lot of those clones among DIY-ers. Not to discourage you, but you would probably have better results by cloning other amps.

Talking about Ongaku, come to my website at:

http://www.geocities.com/ec1288/

You can find many Audio Note schematics and details of DIY Ongaku, Altec Lansing A5, Pass Labs Aleph 5, Genesis Ribbon and NHT 1259.

My interest in building the Ongaku came after I attended a demostration on this expensive Ongaku in a large scale Audio show. I am very impressed by its sound as it was so musical and sweet. In the demostration, it was connected to a Audio Note M7 pre-amplifier driving a pair of horn speakers although the Ongaku is an integrated amp.
There are not many high wattage single-ended tube amplifier in the market that can be used to drive low efficiency modern speaker. The Ongaku does fit into this. The 2A3 and 300B tubes are low power amp, best for driving high efficiency speaker such as Altec horn speaker if you want the tube life span to prolong.

Most circuit design of tube amp are not rocket science. It is their simplicity that produce the clarity. Of cause, how great the sound depend a lot on the components you willing to invest in.
There is solid state amp with simple circuit design, such as Pass Labs which I have done a clone on the Pass Labs Aleph 5.

You don't find a lot of Jadis clone either, so are they not worth cloning? I believe there are many other commerical clone out there, just that they do not have a web site to publish their work.

Regards,
ec1288

TJ said:
Sorry , i cant clone the kit one coz my transformer is 8k UL PP type !! :( taken out from the Leak 20 .
I have no idea how good the Leak 20 OPTs are but I guess they must be decent enough, as the Stereo 20 was the Leak’s most popular amp, or I have heard so.
I would stick to EL84 or 6L6 PP design – ultralinear or not, is a matter of taste. Actually, if you have sensitive speakers you could even try triode mode.
A simplest PP amp without additional iron (interstage transformator) would incorporate input stage, phase splitter and output stage. So there will be 3 tubes at all (considering the input is dual section triode)
One such an amp is described at
gabevee's site here and http://members.tripod.com/~gabevee/pptube.html
The same kind of topology can be used with other output tubes like 6L6 and with different input tubes. I will look up some more examples, if you are interested.

argo

TJ said:
Hi ec1288, i like to clone the AudioNote Ongaku long time ago , but i hear a lot of people said this schmetic got error ? are ur ONgaku working ? any noise on the output stage ? can u please add more detail on building ongaku . thank

Brillant!!! You are absolutely correct.
This shows that you have interest and did your homework.
Many did not get it right or based on rumours, will tell you "it a waste of time or not worth cloning". And I can tell you, there are not many people did it right without understanding the circuitry well.

Mine is a totally working Ongaku with no hum and zero noise.
But it is a painful and expensive lesson I have gone through, because I have fried my original power transformer with that error. Peter Qvotrup of Audio Note(UK) did not tell me about this when I first imported most of the parts from AudioNote(UK) in 1995. Probably, he won't.

In fact, the Ongaku is quite promising even with average components, just like mine with entry-level Audio Note trans. LCR E-Cap, upgraded Kiwame resistors, Wima caps, Jensen aluminium cap, etc.

Let me have your email address, I will provide you the answer directly. I only want to share to those who show interest.

As for my website, I will add more details in the near future if time allow. In additional to that, I will include more tube and chip amps projects based on my five years collection of japanese MJ magazines. So please look out at http://www.geocities.com/ec1288/

Regards,
ec1288

ongaku schematic

Dear Sirs! javascript:smilie(':D')
Big Grin

This is my first post at all, so please show some patience. I'm considering a option to build a preamplifier based on input stage of ONGAKU. I have done some research but I can't get a clear schematic.
Well, there's always this. Of course, no idea how accurate it is...
Considering this thread I assume that some of you have in possession beter schematics and maybe partlists. If it isn't to much trouble please send them to my e-mail addres: stereoman@email.si

Thankx,

Jernej

I built an Ongaku clone a few years ago. I did not use Kando San's expensive parts. I used resistors and caps from DigiKey, a genuine Audio Note power transformer, but David Lucas output transformers that I got on Ebay. The amp worked and sounded good ( on most music) as long as you kept the power below 10 watts. Loud rock music played just below clipping, sounded gross.

I have analyzed the design, found some problems and fixed them only to find more. I wound up redesigning most of the amp. It works great. I rebuilt the power supply and the amp sounded better.

I got to test this amp with a power supply from a Motorola base station. The transformer in that weighs 75 puonds. It sounded awesome, so I am bulding a power supply again.

The schematic for the amp is on my web site.

http://www.tubelab.com/845SE.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.