Attenuation pedal


2009-12-27 7:59 pm

I've been asked to make a volume switch for a guitar.

The idea being that when the player presses the switch the volume increases.

So I was thinking of using a potential divider to give the required drop in volume. Pressing the footswitch bypasses the attenuation giving a perceived boost.(In effect no attenuation).

I was looking to do this by using high quality resistors (metal film) for the attenuation.

Then using two op amps as input and output buffers. But that requires power, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to achieve this buffering without active comps?

Many thanks.
If you want it passive - no power involved - then think of it in terms of decreasing volume, and you turn it off for solos. Which you described already.

If you wire a simple volume control pot in a box, pretty much all you need to do is open the connection to ground at the bottm end of the pot, and it disappears. That techynique is used in many amplifiers to enable and disable various volume controls for channel switching.

A simple active solution is an EQ pedal. You can set it flat so it makes no tonal changes if you prefer, but it still has a level control so you can get a few decibels of boost at the stomp of a switch. The Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ pedal is about $30.