attaching drivers to baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the process of building my first set of DIY speakers, and have gotten to the point where it's time to put the drivers into the cabinet. As I was doing this, I had the thought that gluing the drivers to the baffle would increase the rigidity of the front baffle versus simply screwing the drivers in. I haven't tried it, but would like some input on whether my reasoning is sound, or whether this just doesn't make sense.

My logic was that the rest of the cabinet is glued and screwed together, so why not the drivers.

I would probably use some sort of liquid nails product that is rated to hold metal.

Thanks!

If I were to do this, (and I am extremely wary of this sort of peramanent mod), it would be the very last step I do after deciding the speaker is functioning exactly as I want it to.

Of course that could never happen.

I'm using well braced 1.5" MDF for the front panel, which should be sufficient. I was wondering whether there would be some sort of "weakest link in the chain" effect, where the baffle/driver system is only as rigid as the weakest joint, i.e. at the driver/baffle interface.

As far as I understand, there are always at least 2 aspects to be considered when it comes to mechanical effects like vibrations, flexing and so on: rigidity and damping.

Yes, the driver can add rigidity to the baffle. I"ve seen this implemented commercially: a strong and heavy cast woofer frame attached to a plastic (yes, plastic, but pretty well done!) baffle, which, in turn, was attached to a second baffle (cardboard).

The whole thing acted like a well damped sandwich (thin foam sheets in between) with the driver adding mass to the ensemble. Dynaudio also uses metal/foam/wood sandwiches.

Other reccomandations even suggest de-coupling the driver from the baffle (by mounting it on the magnet structure rather than the frame).

The general goal is to reduce the baffle contribution to the sound to an absolute minimum. This cannot be achieved by only increasing rigidity, you also provide some damping, which I doubt can be solved by rigid gluing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.