Anyone remember?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Years ago I built a diy copy of an odd speaker design for a mate, it had an upward firing bass unit on the top and and a tweeter on the front, does anyone remember the name of the commercial design?

I believe the basic concept was to wall load the bass unit and use it's directionality to equalize it to some degree.

Thx in advance

Ah yes. It was the Acoustic Research guy who was into wall-loading the bass. :cool:

It is meant to get rid of some dips in the bass due to diffraction.

Not Edgar Vilchur, who invented acoustic suspension, but his colleague, Roy Allison. A Glorious Time: AR's Edgar Villchur and Roy Allison | Stereophile.com

There were various Allison Models, named the Model 4 and the Model 6 (below) and so on, IIRC. Is this the one?

Attachments

• Allison_Model_6_Le_Cube.JPG
    Allison_Model_6_Le_Cube.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 101
@ fatmarley that's them! NVA cubes they had great dynamics (in fact a drummer mate of mine reckoned the copies I bashed together reproduced rimshots with incredible realism) Thanks to all for the replies I'll do some googling tomorrow and get up to speed on the cabinet configuration, I'm considering a wide band cone tweeter for the front transducer any suggestions?

Thx again guys!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.