Any DIY Amps for Subs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been using plate amplifiers in my projects, but I want more control over the features of the subwoofer amplifier as well as the shape of the "enclosure", etc.

How does one go about designing/building a subwoofer amplifier?

I'm lately a fan of Class D but and solid-state design would do.

Is a sub amp so simple as an regular amp with a low-pass crossover-style filter on the output? Or do they filter on the input?

There is a sub amp design in R Slone's Audiophile's Project Sourcebook, although he qualifies it by saying, "The only reason I specify it for subwoofer applications is because there is a "better" L-MOSFET design choice for general-purpose applications." [Ch 6, p 168]
And yes, filter the input.

The TDA7294 datasheet has the schematic in Figure 25 (Bridged Circuit). Says it will do 150 W into 8 Ohms with +/- 25V, or 170 W into 16 Ohms with +/-35V.

The TDA7293 datasheet does not show the schematic but mentions using it in a Bridged Circuit for a subwoofer. Says it will do 150 W into 8 Ohms with +/- 25V, or 200 W into 16 Ohms with +/-40V.

The TDA7295 datasheet has the schematic in Figure 18 (Bridged Circuit). Says it will do 100 W into 8 Ohms with +/- 22V or into 16 Ohms with +/-30V (100 Watts in both cases).

Each bridged circuit required two TDA devices.

If I was going to DIY a sub amp, I'd be inclined to use bridged and paralleled chipamps. They're about as cheap as decent power transistors alone. I wouldn't include a filter; that's the job of the active crossover or processor.

However, unless you have access to cheap surplus or salvaged parts, it can be more cost-effective to buy a used power amp. You can easily pick up a 400W into 4 ohms stereo amp for under $400, which comes with rather useful extras like protection circuits and resale value. With more luck or patience you'll find one for half that.

I think we overestimate how much power is really needed for subwoofers, perhaps because of the temptation to run them too loud. When I bothered to check sub levels using an SPL meter, it turned out I had them nearly 10 dB higher than the mains. Lately I've been running two subs off an amp that's a mere 40 watts per channel. That's still more than enough to hit levels over 105 dB at my chair and rattle the walls.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.