And what did we buy today?

Well, I thought I had enough cars ... but that was before I spotted the BMW Z3 "clown shoe" Roadster going for AU$2500.

I won't keep you in suspense, I bought it. To paraphrase the guy from Jaws, "I'm gonna need a bigger garage."

1659135309152.png

Reactions: 1 users
Went shopping for electrical today. All the breaker panels I’ll need for the new compound and the temp socket. And a roll of 4/0 on order - still looking for who has the 2/0 to run to the outbuildings.

Attachments

• 07F3ED12-77FA-4DF0-90AF-6295EA586C7E.jpeg
    07F3ED12-77FA-4DF0-90AF-6295EA586C7E.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 67
  • B09D2F7B-EF00-4E04-A8A9-355BA82C9A74.jpeg
    B09D2F7B-EF00-4E04-A8A9-355BA82C9A74.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 61
GE makes a 20 amp AFCI breaker that fits their standard boxes - it’s not much bigger than the GFCI version, but they do take up a full space so the 40 space panel is a must in the main house. Those cute little half-space breakers don’t come in AFCI/GFCI so forget about 64 or 80. 32 spaces won’t cut the mustard in a house anymore - the one in my house now is maxed and I really need 2 more. That old CH panel won’t even take GFCIs let alone AFCIs. I tried to find them and couldn‘t. The Eaton BR series don’t fit.

The boxes have the dual neutral busses on either side so all those little pigtails can be hooked up easily. No plug-on neutral though (I don’t see what the big deal is anyway). The challenge was finding the OUTDOOR box that had full 200 amp feed thru lugs, since it will be the main facility disconnect and the house needs the full 200A not 100 or 125 off a sub breaker like everything else can. And having everything match. It’s more typical to run everything off the main house, but the simple fact is that it is going to be the LAST building to go up not the first. It simply won’t BE there when we move in. Concrete slabs probably, but I seriously doubt the steel will be up. Just the barn and the mobile home and those will need more or less permanent power.

Permanent power to the outdoor pole, not temporary. It will initially feed the mobile home (which needs at least 100, preferably 125, and could go to 200) and an RV socket on a 50 amp to run tools. Plug in my PA distro and go. Then run to the permanent buildings as they go in. The shop is more critical than the house initially, because we can store everything there and sell the old house. Wife hates it here now. MH will eventually get sold and moved, but it may be there and in use for a year.

Original plan (5 years ago) was a lot more straightforward. Can’t leave the wife home alone for a year anymore while I’m living on site building, so a live-in solution for her needed to be found. MH, horse barn, fence, and infrastructure go in first - with a contractor doing all of that. Then we move together, and finish in our own good time. Best “turn key” I was going to get was 12-18 months for just a 1700 sq. ft house - then still need $80-100k more in infrastructure and no budget at all for a shop.

Reactions: 1 user
My video security system 15 inch HP flat screen monitor crapped out last year.
Wasn't worth repairing.
So I hooked up my old Samsung CRT monitor for the time being.
However, the security system is in the smallest bedroom closet, and the bulky CRT was annoying.
And new compact flat screen monitors have gotten so expensive.

My local news blog said there is a yard sale of several neighbors just a few blocks away - a 5 minute walk.
OK, so I go for a Morning Stroll....to check things out.
WELL!... low and behold, an older couple had a monitor for sale, a Gateway HD1700 17 inch model.
Immaculate condition!.... the wife got a larger one because of her vision problems.
I asked about the price....
Reply: One Dollar.
SOLD!
The monitor works perfect, widescreen, all the features.
VGA and Digital inputs too.
WiseOldCodger is happy now. :)

gateway HD1700.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
The abundance here in America is just stunning. It means you can often get just what you need for next to nothin', by frequenting thrifts and sales. You cant count on it, but you can sure take opportunity as it's presented. Imagine what it would cost if you had to pay retail for that, or its equivalent?

The abundance here in America is just stunning. It means you can often get just what you need for next to nothin', by frequenting thrifts and sales. You cant count on it, but you can sure take opportunity as it's presented. Imagine what it would cost if you had to pay retail for that, or its equivalent?
I actually gave the husband $3 for the monitor.
Talking with him and the wife was very enjoyable.

With three new secondhand vehicles in the last month I have a need for spare keys for all of them. The local locksmith has quoted AU$60 per key to cut the fancy 4-track remote keys on the Alfa 147 and the Peugeot 207 (no programming included), with the BMW Z3 key being a "dealer only" purchase at AU$206.70 and 2-3 week delivery from overseas.

With these sorts of prices I decided there had to be a better solution, so I've bought a Chinese vertical key cutting machine and a couple of key programmers. Same cost but now I can make as many as I need for the ebay cost of the blanks.

Reactions: 2 users

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
So I am very curious about the pack of cigarettes advertised in the manual pic of this LCR.
Lots of hits in Google. The maker is Japan Tobacco but I can't find cigarettes on their site.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hi-lite+japanese+cigarette
Looks like $48 per carton if you can evade taxation.
https://to-world.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_12&language=en
http://www.cigarettespedia.com/index.php?title=BrandHi-Lite

Table 4.7: 1990 Performance of Top 10 Brands in Japan
Brand Share of market % Trend Price Positioning
1 Mild Seven [JTI] 49.2 Declining Popular Popular mainstream
2 Caster [JTI] 8.7 Declining Popular Vanilla flavored
3 Cabin [JTI] 6.6 Declining Premium Stylish – active masculine
4 Lark [PM] 5.0 Increasing Premium Mature success – charcoal filter
5 Hi Lite [JTI] 4.9 Declining Popular Mainstream full flavor
6 Peace [JTI] 3.0 Declining Economy Traditional satisfaction
7 Hope [JTI] 2.9 Declining Economy 70mm (10’s)
8 Kent [BAT] 1.9 Increasing Popular 1st popular price import
9 Echo [JTI] 1.8 Declining Economy Cheap mainstream
10 Parliament [PM] 1.4 Increasing Premium 1st imported 100mm

I once got "duty free" butts from Switzerland. They re-packed from carton-shape to a flat-pack to get through postal inspection. It was weeks of worrying if that was the mail-man at the door or Tax Police.

I don't see those paper packs any more, they were used here for cheap unfiltered cigarettes, and sometimes in duty evaded packs with 'Afghanistan' or 'Nepal' tax markings, it seems they fell off trucks while being shipped from Indian ports to those countries.

I remember paying ten Rupees for a pack of 20 (rough, never again!), when the Indian ones were INR40 for a ten pack.
There is a clove flavored brand from Indonesia, INR100 for 20, retail is INR400. Again, doubtful for tax compliance. Prices as of 2018...

Now even the cheap ones have thin cardboard as the material.
The standard pack here is 10, the US has 20 it seems, and Australia used to have 25 in a pack...

Gave up in 2018, no regrets.

Australia had packs of 5, 10, 20, 25, 40 & 50 over the years. Of the Japanese brands listed above I recognise Mild Seven, Lark, Kent and Parliament as having been available at tobacconists here.

I've never tried to import cigarettes illegally, but at one stage imported some Swedish Snus when I was intent on giving up. After 40 years of smoking it seemed like a good time to make the effort. Eventually succeeded with vaping, and still do that today after almost 10 years. Vape juice now requires a doctor's note but since most doctors are uninformed fucktards and refuse to supply one I import the juice direct from China. It's better than paying AU$60+ for a pack of cigarettes, most of which is a tax deterrent.

As for soft packs, Camel definitely had the best flavour.