Ancient Powered Mixer

This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Our church has a 6 channel powered mixer by Tom (mcx-106). It's at least 30 years old. It has served us well but has outlived its usefulness. We are planning on upgrading next year but that's next year. My question is can I we incorporate an external amp and I see the current mixer for volume, effects, eq etc.? If so, how?
Can you post a photo of the panel and any signal jacks that may be on the rear?

Wait, could this be a TOA, rather than a "Tom"? TOA makes an MCX-106 6-channel powered mixer. here's a link:

In what way have you out grown it? Only has six channels, and many people find that very limiting as their sound sophistication grows. On the other hand it only has the one power amp of 300 watts, did you want more than that?

Most mixers have "patch" jacks that allow access to the various sections of the unit. If you want to use a different power amp, use a mix out jack on the front of the mixer to send signal to that other amp.

Page 7 of the manual I linked explains the patch jacks on the front. You can send the mix signal from the PGM (program) jack to the input of some external amp. And for that matter you can use the internal power amp for anything you like by putting a signal into it via the PWR jack (power amp in)

There are more capabilities there, but that is the basic answer to your question.

But the larger question is what is your ultimate goal? If the six channels are enough and all you want is a larger power amp and/or more speakers, my description above suffices. if you are thinking of a larger mixer (ie more channels) then using this giant thing as a 6-input submixer seems inefficient. Ther are plenty of 12/16/24/32 channel mixers these days that are not expensive and sound great. Powered or not powered.

Powered mixers are convenient, especially if you move them around. Setup is a breeze. But for permanent installation, as many churches have, a mixer portion and separate power amps can make things more flexible. But neither way is "wrong".

Do you set the mixer/amp on stage and mix from there? or do you have a soundman and remote sound station for the mixer? If your music is at all involved, a sound man might prefer a desk type mixer, the TOA is what we call a "box" mixer because it is in a big box, like a guitar head. A desk mixer is the kind that sits flat on a table top.

All the major brands of mixers make them in both plain and powered versions, there are plenty of choices.

Tell us a little more about just what you want to do and what about the TOA is not enough.
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.