Amphion Argon2-what drivers?

I don't think you can buy those speakers. They are custom assemblies, even though they are made from Seas off the shelf parts.

I'm speculating, but I'm very familiar with Seas drivers so there's a good chance this is what it is:

The woofer is an assembly consisting of the L/W18 6 bolt frame with the rear vented spider, while the cone, phase plug, surround (and likely the motor) are from the older L17RCY/P. The cone has a straight profile while the newer L18 (H1224) has a curved profile.

The way Amphion is using these drivers, the older straight profile cone is a wiser choice. The newer L18 curved cone is a design tradeoff which gives the driver a cleaner lower treble at the expense of a slightly less clean upper midrange. The Argon2's waveguide helps allow a low crossover point, which means the woofer does not have to work as high and the straight profile cone can be used without worry of the tradeoffs.

Looks like a well-engineered, excellent design. I've recently become a believer in waveguide systems and I'm doing one myself right now.

The tweeter looks like the 25TAFC/G.
 
Alexnick said:
I want to ask you, is it good to use the L18RNX-P in a 30L vented enclosure tuned at 35Hz?

That box is a little on the big side. There would be some drooping in the midbass, and power handling would be pretty low. Somewhere between 14 and 18 l with a tuning of around 40-42hz would be better.
 

Attachments

  • image2.gif
    image2.gif
    32.3 KB · Views: 565
Zaph, I found out that it is possible to have a cut-off at 0,8Khz
with the right waveguide!
This helps a lot, especially if I want to use a 8" woofer instead
of the 6,5"(that is over the limit with the 30L enclosure, as you said)

So what do you think is it possible to use an 8" woofer from Seas in a
40L enclosure and crossed at 0,8Khz?
The problem is that I don't know how does the enclosure affect the
high-frequency limit of the woofer!
 

AJinFLA

Banned
2005-02-09 4:35 am
Tampa
Hi Alex,

I think something you might be missing is that the XO point, the drivers and the WG are all related. You could lower you XO arbitrarily to 800hz, but you would still need a fairly robust tweeter with relatively low distortion and low Fs in this range. Then you must also consider the coverage angle of the guide and the off-axis behavior of you midbass, be it the 8" SEAS or not. Most 8's will have fairly wide dispersion at 800hz even in a box (possibly wider in a dipole). The WG will restrict your tweeters dispersion (controlled directivity). You must strike a balance. It could well be 800hz. Or it may be higher. You need measurement capabilty to determine all of this. I'm sure you have seen this brand. This latest model uses a new Peerless 8". Some of there other models I believe use Vifa tweeters XO'd as low as 750hz to what looks like Seas woofers, although I am not sure.

Cheers,

AJ

SPtech http://www.4sptech.com/

[IMGDEAD]http://www.4sptech.com/Images/Studio_no_Grill.JPG[/IMGDEAD]
 

AJinFLA

Banned
2005-02-09 4:35 am
Tampa
Your welcome Alex. I found the correct balance between directivity, distortion,etc for my particular application to be in the 1.4k range. The XT-19's distortion rises below 2k but is excellent above (among the very best). The larger domes (1") like the SEAS will do better down low, but won't have as much dispersion at the very top. It really depends on what your taste preferences in sound are. If you don't need the very wide dispersion at the very top, the SEAS is a great choice. I'd really like to know what Vifa's SPTech uses. I strongly suspect they are either custom models or modified by SP (possibly larger rear chambers to lower Fs). I've considered modifying the rear chamber on my XT, but that is a very complex undertaking that I have so far shied away from. Good luck whichever road you choose;) .

Cheers

AJ

[IMGDEAD]http://www.openbafflespeakers.com/images/Orion_Fr_CloseupWeb3.JPG[/IMGDEAD]
 

sqlkev

Member
2004-03-24 7:43 am
714
AJinFLA said:
Your welcome Alex. I found the correct balance between directivity, distortion,etc for my particular application to be in the 1.4k range. The XT-19's distortion rises below 2k but is excellent above (among the very best). The larger domes (1") like the SEAS will do better down low, but won't have as much dispersion at the very top. It really depends on what your taste preferences in sound are. If you don't need the very wide dispersion at the very top, the SEAS is a great choice. I'd really like to know what Vifa's SPTech uses. I strongly suspect they are either custom models or modified by SP (possibly larger rear chambers to lower Fs). I've considered modifying the rear chamber on my XT, but that is a very complex undertaking that I have so far shied away from. Good luck whichever road you choose;) .

Cheers

AJ

[IMGDEAD]http://www.openbafflespeakers.com/images/Orion_Fr_CloseupWeb3.JPG[/IMGDEAD]


AJ, that is a very interesting looking dipole you have above. How would one get a waveguide like the one you have? Or, is that all customed?

I have a pair of xt19 coming and very interested in that project you made.
 

ScottG

Member
2003-02-04 12:23 am
US
Zaph said:
I don't think you can buy those speakers. They are custom assemblies, even though they are made from Seas off the shelf parts.

I'm speculating, but I'm very familiar with Seas drivers so there's a good chance this is what it is:

The woofer is an assembly consisting of the L/W18 6 bolt frame with the rear vented spider, while the cone, phase plug, surround (and likely the motor) are from the older L17RCY/P. The cone has a straight profile while the newer L18 (H1224) has a curved profile.

The way Amphion is using these drivers, the older straight profile cone is a wiser choice. The newer L18 curved cone is a design tradeoff which gives the driver a cleaner lower treble at the expense of a slightly less clean upper midrange. The Argon2's waveguide helps allow a low crossover point, which means the woofer does not have to work as high and the straight profile cone can be used without worry of the tradeoffs.

Looks like a well-engineered, excellent design. I've recently become a believer in waveguide systems and I'm doing one myself right now.

The tweeter looks like the 25TAFC/G.


The tweeter is made by Audax (custom)..
 

AJinFLA

Banned
2005-02-09 4:35 am
Tampa
Hi Sqlkev,


the WG used is a Pyle PH65 that was modified to fit the XT-19. If you go to Zaphs website http://www.zaphaudio.com/hornconversion.html you will see a good illustration of how this could be done. The one he uses looks identical and is available at MCM. If you are going to attempt this then I assume you have some measurement capability. Sorry if I don't have all the specifics like Zaph's site but that should be a good start. Do some searches to help you as well, there have been plenty more posts about WG's since I did these, a while back - when there were just about none.

cheers,

AJ;)
 

sqlkev

Member
2004-03-24 7:43 am
714
AJinFLA said:
Hi Sqlkev,


the WG used is a Pyle PH65 that was modified to fit the XT-19. If you go to Zaphs website http://www.zaphaudio.com/hornconversion.html you will see a good illustration of how this could be done. The one he uses looks identical and is available at MCM. If you are going to attempt this then I assume you have some measurement capability. Sorry if I don't have all the specifics like Zaph's site but that should be a good start. Do some searches to help you as well, there have been plenty more posts about WG's since I did these, a while back - when there were just about none.

cheers,

AJ;)

I actually do have a simple measurement setup (when I say simple, it's SW + Highefficiencyloudspeaker preamp + pana cap.)

How far off did you mill down your WG though? Since the xt19 is a bit different from regular domes, did you experience anything different than a boost in the 1.5khz range? How's the xover on that setup?

I have a dcx so it won't be too hard to try different settings.
 
Zaph said:
The woofer is an assembly consisting of the L/W18 6 bolt frame with the rear vented spider, while the cone, phase plug, surround (and likely the motor) are from the older L17RCY/P. The cone has a straight profile while the newer L18 (H1224) has a curved profile.

The tweeter looks like the 25TAFC/G.

You are right about the woofer. However, the tweeter is not as standard as the woofer, it's a much much more special version. They have actually lowered the FS to 400 Hz by increasing the coil travel (height), the back chamber size and something else (that's what the designer told me at least). I love my argon2's ...

Those Pyle PH65's also look nice, can't find them in Europe though (does anyone else?). Time for a group order?