Altec 15" woofers reconning? yes? no?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two pairs of Altec 816-8B 15" woofer. a pr is NOS, another pr is used in good condition but one of them has a crack in on the cone (repaired). a local guy says he'll recone them both for 250USD. is it any good? will they sound as good as the NOS pr I got? he says he'll use original Altec Recone Kit
any idea?

Hmmm, that goes against my experience and many others. We had someone (nameless of course) that sent them to GPA and they forgot to reverse the charge on the machine for AlNiCo mags. Does that person care to share their experience? Let's see. :) I have a set of CTS AlNiCo drivers that are close to discharged but they aren't worth sending out so they just sit on a shelf.

If GPA is not going to recharge the magnets ( & then test for proper TS parameters, as well as polarity ) one might as well have GPA cone kits installed by one's local ( & trusted ) reconer . They can typically obtain them from GPA at a discount .

The fit & finish might not be quite as beautiful as GPAs work / but then if you trust your reconer there's no reason ( with GPA declining to recharge ) to not have it done locally .

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.