• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

aikido noval all in one caps upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built a few Aikido circuits and (if I understand you correctly) the "Aikido Cap" serves to feed the power supply noise into the bottom grid of the output section. I can't see the sense using the expensive stuff there. I use Solen or Sprague orange drops in that position. Maybe I'll get a chance to try the mundorfs for coupling caps - but I have only Jensen copper foil budget, max. Some vintage PIOs sound good to me as we'll. Not all, but some.

Nobu

That is a difficult to answer question, I think. I really comes back to the larger question of the audibility of capacitors in A.C. coupling applications. Although, in the Aikido circuit, it is power supply noise that is being A.C. coupled, a component of that power supply noise will be due to modulation of the power supply by the music signal itself. So, I think it's conceivable that the capacitor quality may be audible. The only way to know for sure is to try installing a better cap. and listen for any improvement to the sound. That's what's both fun and frustrating about this hobby, ultimately, everything must be judged by listening.

Capacitor quality is almost irrelevant when it is handling a large audio signal. It will be completely irrelevant when all it is doing is handling a small correction signal.

I don't advise the OP to spend 'more' on any caps. Just make sure the coupling cap which sets the LF rolloff has an appropriate dielectric (e.g. perhaps not polyester), and is of normal good commercial quality.

Ps do i excess the worth using a mundorf silver oil in the coupling caps?
It surely is worth investing in a good coupling capacitor. I would suggest Mundorf M-Cap Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil.

But only as the output cap!

I would not invest that much money in the "other" cap. Perhaps that is the Aikido cap you actually are asking about.

If you don't like the improvement. You can always sell it again.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.