Advice electronic/rock/alternative/ all kind off music Loudspeaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello i have been a reader of this forum for many year and i have done only one high pass filter for my little totem arro speaker to listen rock an tecno .
But i am not happy any more i want to make a hifi speaker under +-500 eur/usr for electronic/rock/alternative/ all kind off music that is precise not bommy and give impact, my living room is 20sqm, can you give any direction, please :D
TL/ported/2way/3way/15”fullrange :rolleyes:

My system :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt_...omment_id=z124wv2zrt3oirdkt23bursxlwm2drqyf04

Thanks
Ruferto

Last edited:
Have you thought about keeping the speakers you are using and adding a nice subwoofer? There a lot of designs available for under your budget if you go the DIY route. If you want to buy one off the shelf, you can probably still find a nice one within your price range.
Mike

Have you thought about keeping the speakers you are using and adding a nice subwoofer? There a lot of designs available for under your budget if you go the DIY route. If you want to buy one off the shelf, you can probably still find a nice one within your price range.
Mike

Does it make the same job as two speakers with for example 6 1/2 inch wofer speakers ?
The arro is 4"

If I understand your question, yes it does. Depending on the cost and your likes, you could go with one subwoofer or you could go with two. If you like your current speakers but just want more bass, this might be your best value. Others will need to help, but you could add hi pass filters to your speakers and bring in the subwoofers accordingly. There are a lot of options; it's up to your budget, willingness, and imagination. :)
Mike

If you listen to electronic music, I would recommend a pair of subs. What are the largest enclosures you can fit in your room?

I listen to all kinds of music, and a bough two loudspeakers that are very good for calm music, blues jazz classic…..but when I enter in the rock tecno music, something is missing, the music doesn’t give that feeling to jump like a “monkey” :D
Can I put the sub behind the speakers ?? what should be the cut off FR ? 100hz,
I was thinking 20 X 30 x 100 cm 8”w X 12”L x 40”h +- 40 Liters loudspeaker, but 1 or 2 subs is cheaper and easier.:scratch1:

I really don’t want to damage my arros

ruferto

I listen to all kinds of music, and a bough two loudspeakers that are very good for calm music, blues jazz classic…..but when I enter in the rock tecno music, something is missing, the music doesn’t give that feeling to jump like a “monkey” :D
Can I put the sub behind the speakers ??...
can you give any direction
The direction should be straight ahead. From the second i have seen, before google kicked in and asked nasty stuff, i get the impression, thy speakers are too narrow and use too small not arrayed drivers. Use speakers which are more beaming, say have more diaphragm area(s radiating over the right frequency ranges). A big fullrange driver mounted in a high and wide panel sounds the opposite of the stuff thou have now but will subdue thee neither, because the trebles will beam too much. Good was a 5 inch Krassolito (one 5 inch squawker-tweeter centered between two 5 inch woofer-squawkers), an 8 inch coaxial driver or any other multi-way with quite frequency-constant beaming.

Hmmm...Yes ! Two fane Sovereign 12 " per speaker and you should be ok :p
I guess the suggestion of a subwoofer is good ( though I've never had any in my system :rolleyes: ) but that should go together with a reduction in volume of the current speakers; I mean, those speakers are designed to give that sound, in particular a big ( relatively ) mass of air behind the woofer cone.
A real DIYer would have already dismounted the woofer & tweeter and crossover and arranged them in a small box.
Hmmmm...you pay for the enclosure & its finish, you don't want to depart from them...
Use them as flower-pot stands :)

The direction should be straight ahead. From the second i have seen, before google kicked in and asked nasty stuff, i get the impression, thy speakers are too narrow and use too small not arrayed drivers. Use speakers which are more beaming, say have more diaphragm area(s radiating over the right frequency ranges).
I think so too.

I think I've had the same problem as Ruferto. The 'energy' / 'punch' of rock music did not come across on speakers with a 5" woofer and 0.8" dome tweeter, in a small listening room. It just sounded polite. They have been replaced by larger ones with a 10" woofer and horn tweeter, which do a better job.

For a start, thou can extend the sound panel of thy existing boxes on top and sides with some boards somewhat tilted backwards, so thou obtain sort of a sound cockpit for each box. This will raise level and directionality in the tenor and alto range, where most monkeys are. Now equalize this gain on the small-signal side (for example with equalizer APO), and add a subwoofer.

Hmmm...Yes ! Two fane Sovereign 12 " per speaker and you should be ok :p
I guess the suggestion of a subwoofer is good ( though I've never had any in my system :rolleyes: ) but that should go together with a reduction in volume of the current speakers; I mean, those speakers are designed to give that sound, in particular a big ( relatively ) mass of air behind the woofer cone.
A real DIYer would have already dismounted the woofer & tweeter and crossover and arranged them in a small box.
Hmmmm...you pay for the enclosure & its finish, you don't want to depart from them...
Use them as flower-pot stands :)

Two fane Sovereign 12 " and can i place a passive filter like; amp - - 2way filter ---to ---- totem and sovereign, can this be done ?

Use them as flower-pot stands :)[/QUOTE]

I have bought them with my wife and if i turn them to flower-pot stands she will kills me. :D

I think so too.

I think I've had the same problem as Ruferto. The 'energy' / 'punch' of rock music did not come across on speakers with a 5" woofer and 0.8" dome tweeter, in a small listening room. It just sounded polite. They have been replaced by larger ones with a 10" woofer and horn tweeter, which do a better job.

Do you play all kind off music with them also, or only rock/electronic music ?

A love also chamber music, jazz, bossa nova ....

:violin: :)

Two fane Sovereign 12 " and can i place a passive filter like; amp - - 2way filter ---to ---- totem and sovereign, can this be done ?
Oh come on !?! I was jocking !! Who would ever consider using two fane's in a hifi setup ?
For the splitting question/problem it's already been said many times that for subwoofer an electronic crossover ( so active, before the amplifiers ) is far better than a passive one ( after the amplifier ).
Otherwise you have to consider it as a whole new project and make passive splitting for (sub)woofer, mid (woofer), treble, which involves complex calculations and big value of inductors and capacitors for the bass to mid section.

As I said, the actual enclosure becomes rather useless when used for the purpose of being a satellite as it is designed to generate the correct counterweight for compliance and volume of air displaced till the natural decay of the woofer.
And you don't want to saw it in two parts, don't you !?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.