Adjustable spdif cable? smells like snake oil to me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's the referenced patent: http://www.google.com/patents?id=14ofAAAAEBAJ&dq=5412356

Abstract
A single-ended digital interface cable and a balanced digital interface cable having a source end and a load end for propagating audio frequency signals in a digital format is disclosed. Each of the cables comprises a fixed capacitor or a capacitor and switch network which is coupled at or near the load end of the cables for providing a fixed bandwidth or for use in selectively controlling the bandwidth of the cables and a series resistance at each end thereof to dampen ringing.
Price is a bit steep... :rolleyes:

Does it make sense?

I cannot see what he means on the first page, left, between lines 31 and 48, where he talks about cable capacitance and rise times etc. It seems contradictory - or is it me?

And VERY expensive for a handful of cap, resistors, switch, knob and a box!

poynton said:
And VERY expensive for a handful of cap, resistors, switch, knob and a box!

You are forgetting the är-”ti-ky&-’lA-sh&n.

A tweakable spdif cable is pretty much the wet dream of any self-respecting audiophile. Not cheap but imagine how much you can save by squeezing a whole cable collection into one.

Seriously, a great commercial concept. The bloody spdif thingie is so sensitive to tweaking, that even if all the knob did was compressing mechanically the cable, it would still make a difference.

By changing the characteristic impedance one can produce all types of sound.

And all of it wrong.

I saw that, definitly not optical. They basically have a stupid passive EQ of some type that probably cost about $2.00 in parts, slapped it inline with some cables and said.. Oh what the heck, $3K sounds like a well rounded number. I hate Snake oil selling tards.

Are you trying to tell me you can hear a difference if a cable simply has pressure applied to it..? *LOL*

analog_sa said:

You are forgetting the är-”ti-ky&-’lA-sh&n.

A tweakable spdif cable is pretty much the wet dream of any self-respecting audiophile. Not cheap but imagine how much you can save by squeezing a whole cable collection into one.

Seriously, a great commercial concept. The bloody spdif thingie is so sensitive to tweaking, that even if all the knob did was compressing mechanically the cable, it would still make a difference.

By changing the characteristic impedance one can produce all types of sound.

And all of it wrong.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.