Adding a ground with a 3 prong cable and connector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to add a true ground to my magnavox 185-AA amp that Ive been modifying by adding a ground from the power connector
Ive added a PC D style power connector and would like to connect the ground pin and add proper ground to this amp
From what ive read I need to disconnect the capacitor from the ground in this schematic:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Would that be correct?
Im going to also replace this capacitor with a new one anyway so would a normal 2 prong cap work since Im planning to remove the ground?

thanks in advance :)

I want to add a true ground to my magnavox 185-AA amp that Ive been modifying by adding a ground from the power connector
Ive added a PC D style power connector and would like to connect the ground pin and add proper ground to this amp
From what ive read I need to disconnect the capacitor from the ground in this schematic:

Would that be correct?
Im going to also replace this capacitor with a new one anyway so would a normal 2 prong cap work since Im planning to remove the ground?

thanks in advance :)

Those capacitors (10000mmf = .01uf) in the original design are to keep the chassis at R.F. ground no matter what way you plug it in.
If you ground The chassis with a 3 wire power cable you don't need any capacitors.

But you may create a new problem called ground loops unless everything that you have connected to that anp is connected to the same outlet or is floating.

Jim

You could install a low value resistor (say 100R) in parallel with two antiparallel 3A diodes from the ground terminal of the power connector to the chassis.

This elevates the chassis for noise but still allows a low impedance path to blow the fuse in the event of a hot "short to chassis".

See post #2 - RF ground for chassis. If present these must be modern mains rated capacitors, which are self-healing and guaranteed to fail open-circuit. 0.5mA of AC is enough to give you an unpleasant tingle, especially if you are not expecting it. If the capacitor fails short-circuit, or develops excessive leakage, then it gets more dangerous if the mains polarity is wrong.

If left in place after a true ground is added it may trip an earth leakage circuit breaker.

For safety, remove the cap and add a chassis ground. Then you have the fun of eliminating a ground loop from your system!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.