Adding a ground with a 3 prong cable and connector

mackinthebox

2010-10-19 11:03 am
I want to add a true ground to my magnavox 185-AA amp that Ive been modifying by adding a ground from the power connector
Ive added a PC D style power connector and would like to connect the ground pin and add proper ground to this amp
From what ive read I need to disconnect the capacitor from the ground in this schematic:
[IMGDEAD]http://afterlifedallas.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/ground_cap.jpg[/IMGDEAD]

Would that be correct?
Im going to also replace this capacitor with a new one anyway so would a normal 2 prong cap work since Im planning to remove the ground?

thanks in advance :)

I want to add a true ground to my magnavox 185-AA amp that Ive been modifying by adding a ground from the power connector
Ive added a PC D style power connector and would like to connect the ground pin and add proper ground to this amp
From what ive read I need to disconnect the capacitor from the ground in this schematic:

Would that be correct?
Im going to also replace this capacitor with a new one anyway so would a normal 2 prong cap work since Im planning to remove the ground?

thanks in advance :)

Those capacitors (10000mmf = .01uf) in the original design are to keep the chassis at R.F. ground no matter what way you plug it in.
If you ground The chassis with a 3 wire power cable you don't need any capacitors.

But you may create a new problem called ground loops unless everything that you have connected to that anp is connected to the same outlet or is floating.

Jim

See post #2 - RF ground for chassis. If present these must be modern mains rated capacitors, which are self-healing and guaranteed to fail open-circuit. 0.5mA of AC is enough to give you an unpleasant tingle, especially if you are not expecting it. If the capacitor fails short-circuit, or develops excessive leakage, then it gets more dangerous if the mains polarity is wrong.

If left in place after a true ground is added it may trip an earth leakage circuit breaker.

For safety, remove the cap and add a chassis ground. Then you have the fun of eliminating a ground loop from your system!