Active crossed mini monitor sugestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am upon my next project. I am looking to build a pair of mini monitors, two way actively crossed. I am looking for extension on the lowend but nothing to big for the enclosure, I know I am asking for best of both worlds but I know there a some ideas out there. I was looking at the Adire Extremis 6.8 kit and thought I could just buy the drivers separately and build the active crossover.

I am just looking for something similar, in cab size (1 cuft max) and extension. Price limit on the drivers is around 350 for all of them.

Let me know if you guys know of any plans, and attach the links.

Thanks

Oh and for power i am using 4 LM3886 so nothing that has to horrible of sensitivity, that Extremis is pretty bad.

G4ME said:
I am upon my next project. I am looking to build a pair of mini monitors, two way actively crossed. I am looking for extension on the lowend but nothing to big for the enclosure, I know I am asking for best of both worlds but I know there a some ideas out there. I was looking at the Adire Extremis 6.8 kit and thought I could just buy the drivers separately and build the active crossover.

I am just looking for something similar, in cab size (1 cuft max) and extension. Price limit on the drivers is around 350 for all of them.

Let me know if you guys know of any plans, and attach the links.

Thanks

Oh and for power i am using 4 LM3886 so nothing that has to horrible of sensitivity, that Extremis is pretty bad.

If your looking for extension from a tiny box that has sensitive drivers,your not going to get it. [hoffmans iron law]

Id get something that is proven. MONITORS are meant to be a reference,so youd better make em pretty good..

Good plan but if you are going through the whole trouble of activly crossing over your speakers may I suggest that you spend the money for a little nicer drivers? Within the $350 I would look at the adire extrimis. If you are willing to spend a bit more I would have you look at the seas exel line for your drivers. The nice thing about going active is you can use steep crossover slopes without a large cost and without the phase problems. With the steeper slopes you can use a larger midbass and play your tweet lower to meet it.

DJNUBZ said:
<snip> The nice thing about going active is you can use steep crossover slopes without a large cost and without the phase problems. With the steeper slopes you can use a larger midbass and play your tweet lower to meet it.

Not quite - analg fliters is analog filters - you get pahse shift. You can use steep slopes without the insertion loss of a passive, and phase shifts are fairly easy to correct for actively, but they are still there.

Another option would be Focal 6W4254 and T120-TD5. I'm very happy with that combo, although at .8 cf it's not exactly mini. Great resolution and imaging, extension to low 50s. Limited bass level if you don't use a sub, though. (96 db@ 80 Hz.) The 6W4311 would be a good choice if you are willing to give up some extension for the ability to play louder. Just a hair over your budget with either woofer at zalytron. I xo at 2400 hz 4th order LR with a 7 db Q=3 notch at 4500, sloped baffle for phase alignment. I haven't heard the Seas excel or extremis, although both look like they'd need more work in the XO

some forms of digital filters can have virtually no phase shift, others that merely copy analog filters have the same issues.

www.Linkwitzlab.com is a good, practical site, covering much more than just phase issues. When I made my first active XO I made it so that I could bypass phase correction. I was amazed at the difference it made, for the better, of course. It really made the leading edge of cymbal crashes and other transients really come together.

ig you're looking at the extremis, then maybe you could also look at a 3-way with the wr125 as a mid. Dan Wiggens said that the LCR was significantly better than the kit 61 so adding the wr125 should be an improvement right?

I guess it does make it more expensive, and you still have a passive xover between the mid and tweet to make. Also your cabinet size would increase a bit as the mid and tweet would need their own enclosure.

Just the measurements of the extremis show it isnt that great a driver above 1k, but the measurements look great below 1k.
http://206.13.113.199/ncdiyaudio/mark/Testing_page.htm

Also using the mid you'd have the crossover an octave lower say, so their is a smaller frequency range going through the bass amp so it should go a little bit louder compared to a two way extremis???

if you're looking at a two way though the scanspeak 7 inch drivers (or usher clones maybe?) also have a fair bit of bass for their size, not as much as the extremis of course but the scanspeaks may be better behaved in the mids.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.