Acoustic Reality Ear 2 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just received the AV Reality Ear 2 stereo digital amp. I hooked the cables up, turned my system on, sat back and could not believe my ears. This new, so-called ground breaking amp was breathing new life into my 13 year old Monitor Audio speakers. The sound coming out of my speakers was breathtakingly great. The sound was fluid and yet very precise at the same time. The amp has no digital or dry type of sound so commonly afforded to digital amplifiers. It is fluid , precise , dynamic and very three dimensional sounding simultaneously. In fact it seems that when the volume is turned up the 3d effect increases. Sounds were coming from some place beyond the walls of my room. It was mind boggling. I have auditioned analogue amps i.e. the Stratos Amplifier by Odyssey and a digital amplifier by P.S. Audio(HCA-2) among other amps, and the Ear 2 amplifier blows these other amplifiers out of the solar system. There is absolutely no real comparison, that is how great this amp sounds. After listening to the the amp a few hours Peter Thomson gave me a call all the way from Denmark to find out what my impressions were of his product. He is a very professional and personable guy and seemed very pleased that I liked the amp. He told me that after 100 hours of use the amp will have a completely different signiture and sound a lot better. I told him it sounded great right out of the box but if it sounds better after several hours than it is just more icing(no pun intended) on the cake.If AV Reality’s speakers are anywhere close to the great sound of this amp I will definetly consider purchasing a pair. This amplifier should be priced much higher than it is. Anyone who is into high end audio components must audition this amp otherwise they will be missing something earthshaking in the audio world.

hi,

how strange , your impression of the icepower modules are very far away from others i have seen and heard.

we compared the modules at work and we were a lot less impressed that you seem to be.

the designer of the modules agreed (we invited him to a test) that 2 other amps we had for comparison was better to some extent that the icepower amps.

was it $8000 you paid??

best regards - k madsen - cadaudio.dk

ps. why do i get the feeling that most if not all the praise on av reality site is written in very much the same "tone" ?

hi.

opinions diifer i guess :)

we did not compare it to a mark levinson but i think its fair to say that they are not reference amps or "the best" amps for lots of people i know.

actually our impression was that the icepower boards (thats what i have heard and can refer to, i havent heard the actual ear 2 amp) was more dull and more like a ml amps than any of the others.....

what modifications did mr . thomsen make to the icepower modules (if any)??

i asked the designer of the boards same question and to his best knowledge the answer is none at all.

EAR 2 amp

Hi

The modification that Peter Thomsen made is something he cannot talk about otherwise other people would copy his design. He told me that the modification he made makes all the difference in the sound of the amplifier. It is a very vital modification that truly changes the sound of the ice power circuit. Call him up and talk to him. Definetly audition the Ear 2 you will not regret it.

Howard(harmon)

hi.

in his mails to me he was very hostile and telling lies that were very obvious.

i hope you dont mind i make my own conclusion about whether he did actually make modifications to these modules or not , i do happen to know them i details and i have a couple of them here.

on top of that i talked to the designer of the boards and we seem to share the same opinion in this matter.

best regards - k madsen - cad audio dk

ps. i wonder why you still dont answer what you paid for it?

km said:
hi.
ps. i wonder why you still dont answer what you paid for it?

Sorry for interrupting your conversation.
I am not the person for whom your original question was pointed and I haven’t bought Ear-2 either (or any other module of that matter) but in spite of that, let me ask you:
I wonder why you still don’t want to sell your amps to me?

Argo

Response to KM

Hi

I payed $2,900 for it and well worth every penny. I think of it as a high end amplifier worth $29,000. and got it for $2,900. It will be reviewed very soon by two well known internet audio reviewers. Peter is selling the amp to Danish distributors and they will sell it for many times the price of $2,900. When the reviews come out and more people find out about the amplifier(mainly in Denmark and Europe) , you will realize that this is truly a gem of amps, cabable of not only competing against other high end amps but trouncing them

hi.

i realize there are no reviews (apart from those made by p. thomsen himself) , i suggest that we comment on real reviews where they are published.

$2900 , if thats cheap or not could be a matter of opinion i guess , i think its common knowledge that the amp modules sell for $40 each in samples , 2 of these + a power supply and a case, well.....

about modifications i can only say that i know the icepower guys worked a couple of years to get good specs and it doesnt make much sense that a guy with little (next to no) knowledge about electronics and class-d amplifiers can improve it dramatically "overnight".

like i said in my mail to you my best guess is that he changed a couple of capacitors (if anything) the overall circuitry , the ics and such i have strong doubts are changed a tiny bit. (prove me wrong by all means)

but you like it and think its worth the money , good for you.

regards - k madsen - cadaudio.dk

ps. argo , i dont really see what your question has to do here , i think you have my email adress.

i dont recall having said i dont want to sell amps to you :)

Ear 2

Response to KM

Peter has built into the amp a highly undistorted super clean proprietary power supply and he uses special filters for the output. With these two modifications and possibly others the amp rises easily to high end status. Find out for yourself and purchase one or at least try to audition the Ear 2 . Nothing like first hand experience rather than conjecturing.

hi.

ok now we are getting closer i think , in my mind he didnt make any changes (or if any only minute ones) to the actual amplifier modules.

a super clean undistorted power supply?

compared to a dirty old messy one? :)

special filters for the output?

may i remind you that the output filter is inside the feedback loop and that there isnt much you can change it without altering the feedback and stability.

like i said in my email to you , 2 pictures side by side, one from you showing your modified boards/modules and one from me showing std. boards could clear up things, by all means prove me wrong and feel free to send/upload such a picture.

ps. you said in your email that p.thomsen had come up with changes nobody thought of , are you referring to the changes mentioned here or what? (and if you dont mind me saying its cool to know what everybody has been thinking of , isnt it?)

EAR 2

Response to KM

All this is conjecture on your part. I have the Ear 2 for about two months and I know how it sounds. Purchase one or audition the amp and you will know how it sounds. Looking at the motherboard will not relate anything to you on how the amp sounds.

km said:
hi.

a super clean undistorted power supply?

compared to a dirty old messy one? :)

special filters for the output?
:D
A badly made powersupply will raise the distortion level in a Digital amp... -> Use high quality caps will low ESL and ESR over a wide range. This is documented by TI..
The powersupply has to be low noise and lowimpedance over an wide frequency range because of the "direct" coupling to the speaker... What powersupply do you use?? The old messy one?? :D

The quality of the coil and caps in the output filter ... If you do not change the series resistance and values... How should this affect the stability of the amp?? :D

Sonny

hi.

i am well aware of the power supply and its influence on the sound quality , this is proven again and again also in normal amplifiers.

it just sounded like p.thomsen made a revolutionary new type of power supply for the icepower modules nobody had ever thought about before , thats what i commented on (i dont think he did as i dont think he made any big changes , if any at all, to the actual amplifier modules.

we did at work compare one of our amplifier boards (the 2x300 class-d amp board that outperformed the icepower boards in a comparison test) powered with a normal power supply (yes with fast diodes , low esr caps , and such) and same board powered with a switch mode supply , we think the latter is a bit better , a bit more "air" and "crispyness" but overall same sound chracter, depth, warmth, transient response (perhaps a bit more of that too)

harmon i could do that , perhaps i allready heard something very close?? :)

would you like to hear something better??

sonnya i recognize you hostile tone (wonder why?) none of the amplifiers in question are digital and i agree that if you dont change anything the feedback loop isnt affected :)

mmmhhh... i am not more hostile than you...

May i quote : "special filters for the output?

may i remind you that the output filter is inside the feedback loop and that there isnt much you can change it without altering the feedback and stability"

What i was trying to say is when Peter T.... have changed the output filter does not necessary mean than he had changed the values to get a better sound stage... This special filter could be caps selected from listening tests... All with the same data but from different manufactures... The same replyes to the inductors... and so on...

The reason why i am hostile... IT sounds a bit like you are trying to make Harmon sad.... ?? Why ?? He has buyed a good amp in his opninion.. Just because you do not agree does not mean you have to say that you "don't think " he can judge the amps sound stage correctly .... again you quote : "how strange , your impression of the icepower modules are very far away from others i have seen and heard"

I am not coloured regarding my opinion... I do not know Peter T... LC Audio or any other class D manufacture... very well .. So thats not my problem...
By the way my living is not designing amps... So thats also not my problem.

Something i would like to say is that B&O's engineers have come up with a smart circuit in a little board space which is patented.. And with some optimation regarding open loop gain,switch frequency... and so on .. This might be a really good design.. Who knows if Peter has done those mods.... They could easely be done on the existing circuit just by changing some caps/resistors... This cannot be seen by photos

Sonny

Ear 2

Response to KM

Listen man, why don't you get your hands on an Ear 2 and you will know for sure if its good or not compared to the other digital icepower amps you heard. This will solve the whole problem. Guessing and conjecturing does not work in the real world but knowing and experiencing works. Good luck.

hi.

im not trying to make harmon sad in any way , in my mind what we are discussing here is whether the ear-2 amp is (significantly) different from the icepower modules or not and whether p.thomsen has made any modifications to the actual modules or not.

your guesses could be as good as mine , right?

i happen to know the designer of the board (icepower 500) in question and if you dont mind me saying it i would think he knows the schematic, board layout and such a bit more than you or p.thomsen (sorry if i am repeating myself).

ps. did you read the patent(s)?

ps. i agree if all parts are the same it can be difficult to see changes on a photo :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.