• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A question regarding schematics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
I've come across a Glass Audio schematic. In the article and this dramatic it doesn't specify whether they're using 220 V power grid or a 110 V grid. Does anyone know whether Glass Audio uses one or the other? Is there any way I can tell from the schematic? I'm quite new at this.

I'm asking because I would like to buy the Transformers however, my purchase should differ with regards to the power grid specified on the schematic.

If someone wishes to see this dramatic, please say so.

Thank you for your replies,
Eitan Waks

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would bet a lot that it is assumed to run on 110V mains as this is a US journal published in the US.

In this case you would need to get a 220V transformer (you'r in a 220V country right) with the same secondary windings as specified in the article. Should be no great deal what with all the on-line power at your fingertips!

Jan Didden

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Get a transformer with secondary voltage(s) that match the schematic and primary voltage that suits your wall outlet.

The primary voltage is independent of the rest of the schematic.

If they specify a line fuse, you "should" adapt it to your local power. However line fuse size is not an exact art.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Thank you for your replies, it really cleared things up. Now the only problem is finding where I can buy the transformers that I need.

Is it possible to self wound a transformer? Do people build their own transformers if they are nonstandard?

Once again, thank you for all your help,
Eitan Waks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.