'74 Sony TA-1055 Recapping Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi fellas,

I decided to start a thread about my project to do some parts replacement on this amp. I am looking for insights and suggestions from you, and maybe help others with similar project in mind. I'd like to start by saying a big heap of thanks to Bob (trileru) for walking me thru the entire process up until now. You rock big time. :cool::cool:

Schematic and service manual:
Dropbox - Sony TA-1055

I re-upload some photos via flickr for your reference.

So here's the amp:

The board:

Little did I know the final transistors were replaced, and one of the drivers are not original:

So I started compiling a parts list, anything under 10uF has been replaced with film caps, and most of the caps are replaced.

Bringing the whole thing to look like this:

Not too shabby, eh? :D:D

HOWEVER, DC offset is high on one channel and now the amp keeps blowing fuse. The story continues on page 6.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
So you are replacing all the transistors as well ? It should certainly be do-able but you may run into issues of both stability and also basic issues such as being able to obtain the correct bias current in the output pair. It looks like this is a fixed bias design and so its especially critical of the parts used. This is because of manufacturing differences between old vs new semis and the slightly different characteristics in things such as absolute turn on voltage.

Restoring old gear is great... if you dismantle it further then its even possible to wash the main PCB and chassis etc. Hot water and detergent. It would all come up like new.

Mooly, I'm replacing 4 driver transistors and 4 output transistors, simply because the ones installed are not correct for this amp. There are smaller ones that I think I'll just leave as is. I'm replacing the caps as well, putting film caps in place of 'lytics, and also some diodes as well to be safe.
I'll see about removing the board altogether. Right now I'm fairly content with cotton swab and alcohol, working slowly around each part I'm replacing. Thanks for stopping by. :)

Yeap. Also remember, unplug before working on it. Good luck and keep us posted with the progress.
Divide into steps, replace a set of parts, test the amp, then replace the next step, test it again. If you screw up, you have a small part count to check.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Its never easy working off pictures.

I would have thought that the collector of the originals would have been the centre pin... obviously check that, don't take my word for it.

Use your meter and check that the collector on the board (the print) goes to where you think it goes on the circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.