• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6v6 SE kit - any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Siliconray looks decent but strangely shipping for kits is twice what they charge for assembled amp so you may be better off with SA-22 Single Ended HiFi Tube Amplifier SA-01 - Boards | Kits | Components | Modules | Tools at $280 + 45 shipping and then modify it if required.
On the other hand, you may be able to source slightly better parts within Europe for the same money and build one of the form's favourites but likely without the enclosure included in the sum.

Last edited:
Is there anybody out there who had built those cheap kits (6v6 SE) from Siliconray or Wowhifi. How does the amps sounds and perform. And how does the supplier/seller perform. 240 USD for a complete kit, -sounds to good to be true?

There is the Vendor Forum with Silicon Ray in it. Check out what others are saying about his stuff over there and other things encountered. This will give you a better overview of his products. so far biggest comments are the shipping, but you are moving 40 pounds of material at times.

From the looks of it, talking to others in a few PM and emails, and from talking to the man himself, I think that his products are a cut above other Chinese manufacturers.

There is the Vendor Forum with Silicon Ray in it. Check out what others are saying about his stuff over there and other things encountered. This will give you a better overview of his products. so far biggest comments are the shipping, but you are moving 40 pounds of material at times.

From the looks of it, talking to others in a few PM and emails, and from talking to the man himself, I think that his products are a cut above other Chinese manufacturers.

Well I built the 6l6 version. I also built another SE 6L6 after that with all parts sourced local (USA) and I paid less with better sonics with the local build and I didn't have to wait months for the kit. That said it helped me as it was my first point to point build. So in that respect it was a good experience. If you are getting into point to point and have limited or no build from scratch experience, it's a good place to start. The amp I built actually sounds fairly decent. Expect 5w/ch for the 6L6/6P3S version (which is cheaper I think).
Good beginner kit since it has a nice SS chassis but the iron is nothing to write home about. This kit actually exceeded my expectation as I thought I'd be getting a decent chassis for $140 and I'd have to source everything else... I learned a lot but I also have experience building other electronics. You need to feel comfortable with +400v and know how to stay safe.

Cheers,
Bob

Thank´s Bob for your interesting reply. I´m quite experied in recond. I recently fixed up a Dynaco St-70 in it sounds and looks great. My aim for a kit is that it provides a layout for the components and also pictures that shows where to put what. Just like in the original building manual for the st-70. There are a lot of good shematics on the net and i can easly get the components and hardware here in Sweden. The problem is, and i think i share them with others who want to build, there are wery few layouts provided along with the shematics. The ideal kit for me should be a amp designed as a guitar amp where the components are lined up on a eyelet board, then connected to iron and tubes etc. Better than what i´we seen in some p2p, where caps and resistors more or less are hanging in the air. A amp kit designed like this would be a hit amongst diyérs. Skål.BoC.

Thank´s Bob for your interesting reply. I´m quite experied in recond. I recently fixed up a Dynaco St-70 in it sounds and looks great. My aim for a kit is that it provides a layout for the components and also pictures that shows where to put what. Just like in the original building manual for the st-70. There are a lot of good shematics on the net and i can easly get the components and hardware here in Sweden. The problem is, and i think i share them with others who want to build, there are wery few layouts provided along with the shematics. The ideal kit for me should be a amp designed as a guitar amp where the components are lined up on a eyelet board, then connected to iron and tubes etc. Better than what i´we seen in some p2p, where caps and resistors more or less are hanging in the air. A amp kit designed like this would be a hit amongst diyérs. Skål.BoC.

With this kit you get a schematic, chassis (nice one), parts (some not so good) and transformers/choke. Layout is up to you. You could do your own turret board if you like, but it's all point to point. You gotta come up with your own wire scheme, that's where some of the creativity comes in. How are you going to lay it out and make it work.

Cheers,
Bob

I built SiliconRay's 6V6 Pre-Amp which has the same Chassis as the Amp...It is as Bobrown says, you get a Box O' Parts and a Schematic (In Chinese)...But, it's all there and it Works...
attachment.php

Attachments

• PreAmp Kit.JPG
    PreAmp Kit.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 508
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.