4 way Mid-bass Horn : which XO works for your?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, just a sort of Poll of Mid-bass horn users to know what XO range you prefer when using 4 ways and a dedicated mid-bass horn please ? No matter if it's active or not, but how it is in your real everyday system :)...

LP & HP filter (frequency aera of your mid-bass horn) ? slope ?
Which size of cone driver, model ?
Which design (round, straight, folded, etc)
Have you a trade offs in mind who forced the choice (aera, cost, upper range, WAF, room aera, etc)

This is about to understand the trade offs and why ! For instance why some prefer 1200 LP XO over 700 or 800 Hz ? Why some others are going full range mid-bass (100 to 1000 Hz e.g.) while some others choosed (100 to 500), etc ?

Thanks a lot, it is just about to see by your testimonial in three lines if there is a tendancy wich is winning!

regards, Eldam.

:D What a sucess !

Maybe few start from the mid-bas unit to design their speaker ? I often readed it was added in 3 way designs or made after a first 3 way compresion speaker...

So a VOTT A5/A7 with a 60-80 Hz to 800-1000 Hz with a 15" semi horned ?

or a 8" with a RC H6000 horn ?

Me thinking a traditional horn should be better, but many of you have very different FZ range for the upper bass & low medium...:confused:

1)Hi, just a sort of Poll of Mid-bass horn users to know what XO range you prefer when using 4 ways and a dedicated mid-bass horn please ? No matter if it's active or not, but how it is in your real everyday system :)...
2)LP & HP filter (frequency aera of your mid-bass horn) ? slope ?
3)Which size of cone driver, model ?
4)Which design (round, straight, folded, etc)
5)Have you a trade offs in mind who forced the choice (aera, cost, upper range, WAF, room aera, etc)
6) For instance why some prefer 1200 LP XO over 700 or 800 Hz ? Why some others are going full range mid-bass (100 to 1000 Hz e.g.) while some others choosed (100 to 500), etc ?

Thanks a lot, it is just about to see by your testimonial in three lines if there is a tendancy wich is winning!

regards, Eldam.
Eldam,

1)Have not used a horn loaded four way system for everyday use since 1992, and then it was for PA. For home use, I find a three-way system more than adequate.
2)200 Hz, 1200 Hz, 5kHz, 24 dB LR slope.
3) 15" EVX150A x2 Low, 12" EVM 12L x2 Low Mid, 4" diaphragm JBL 2445 High Mid, JBL 2425 1.75" diaphragm High. Two box system, with double versions of the above also. 14 blocks, each containing 8x15", 8x12", 4x 2445, 4x2425.
4)Low-straight offset conical/BR, Low mid-straight 2part conical (semi-exponential), Mid exponential 60x 40, High conical 70 x 40.
5)Optimal output vs. frequency response and distortion with the drivers chosen.
6) Every horn/driver combination has an optimum frequency range and dispersion profile, matching requires compromise.

With a near infinite choice in a very specific category not particularly popular for home use, I doubt you will find any trend.

For home use I would want to cross the LF below 100 Hz to avoid localization of the subs, which requires a large mid horn for decent pattern control. I'd use the same horn for low mid through high frequency.

Art

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.