3" full range plans?

Hi Guys.

I'm currently researching plans for my Mark-Audio Alpair 6M Gen. 2.
I found a couple that seems interesting, but I'm still looking.
I want to build a portet (3Lt.) enclosure. Bookshelf style.
Some years ago I build the floorstanding frugal horn with Alpair 7.
I've looked at Planet10 -the mMar-Ken 6.2. and that is one I'm considering.

Anyone of you in here that have build some full range bookshelf speakers, or have ideas or links?

I would highly apprecite input.

Morten.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There are at least 2 sizes of Mar-Ken for the Alpair 6.2m. The optimum size one is 3.6 litre, and there is a 2.5 litre uMar-Ken that fits either A6.2 with no changes. I currently have A6.2m in a set of those along with a TPA3118 amplifier in my portable breifcase system. A 3 litre variation would certainly be doable.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/planset/MarKen-A6-extents-030218.pdf

I also have a 1.5 litre experimental box drawn (not shown in the above),

dave

There are at least 2 sizes of Mar-Ken for the Alpair 6.2m. The optimum size one is 3.6 litre, and there is a 2.5 litre uMar-Ken that fits either A6.2 with no changes. I currently have A6.2m in a set of those along with a TPA3118 amplifier in my portable breifcase system. A 3 litre variation would certainly be doable.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/planset/MarKen-A6-extents-030218.pdf

I also have a 1.5 litre experimental box drawn (not shown in the above),

dave

It sounds like the right one for me would be the 3.6L, but I somehow have a little trouble finding them:rolleyes:
I'ts the 6.2M(A) Gen.2 I have.
Is that tpa3118 amp you have a BT version? And can you recommend it?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The A6.2 Mar-Kens are part of a paid planset.

Subscription includes all the current plans plus i will do any planned that i haven’t (ie a trapezoidal Mar-Ken for the A6.2m or a custom design (ie if you’d rather have just 3 litres — do consider that the easiest way to shrink a small box is to decrease the build material thickness.

I hsven’t had a lot of chance to listen to the TPA3118 yet. It is a deluxe build by the fellow in the Maritimes, Daniel added a PS and box for me.

dave

Thank you. So this means that I can buy the actual plan, instead of a full subscription? Buying one plan makes more sense to me. I don't build much.
I got a hard time finding some examples or comparison of the different Mmar-ken models.
I assume that the larger box makes more low end. Whats your experience of the two?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1 plan, or all for a driver range are included in the planset. Typically you only get one plan for the amount asked. As well as at least 2 or 3 boxes dedicated to A6.2m, the planset has a helper woofer planset that can be requested (and the helper woofer/stand) from the A5.2/FF85wk set could easily be adapted.

As well as each planseyt has the option of a custom design (which gets put into the planset for those that follow).

dave

1 plan, or all for a driver range are included in the planset. Typically you only get one plan for the amount asked. As well as at least 2 or 3 boxes dedicated to A6.2m, the planset has a helper woofer planset that can be requested (and the helper woofer/stand) from the A5.2/FF85wk set could easily be adapted.

As well as each planseyt has the option of a custom design (which gets put into the planset for those that follow).

dave

It really confuses me when I can't see any, or find pictures of any of these different designs, and sound wise I have no clue either.
It sounds really interesting that you mention woofer, and I would love to know more about that. It have to be in the actual speaker though. I plan to have an elegant slim designed stand for them. I'm going for something you have already made plan for.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The 3,6 litre box is the largest one shown for the A6,2m, the dmMar-Ken6.2m (i have to fix the bit that says it is OK with the paper cone driver… it could be fitted but a small change in the vent spacer would be required). If you would rather have a different aspect ratio, that can be changed within gcertain constraints (box volume, and width suffiicent ot hold the driver).

dave

dave