2x15 cabinet volume

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I apologize in advance if this particular question has been addressed, or if it is too simplistic for this forum. I am not an expert, but need some advice. I will be building a 2x15 bass guitar cabinet. The "recommended enclosure volume" for the eminence deltapro 15a's reads as 57-133 ltr/2-4.7 cu. ft. I've been doing a lot of reading and understand why the volume of my ported enclosure will be so important. That's why I'm confused. If I have read these specs correctly, eminence is saying that a volume of anywhere between 57 to 133 liter airspace is appropriate. First off, this strikes me as rather small, considering the size of most of the 2x15 bass cabinets that I've seen. Also, it seems a bit of a wide range of values for such an important aspect. If 57-133 ltr is the correct volume range for my cabinet, is there a magic number in there somewhere, and if so how might I calculate it. Thankyou.

Austin Duggan said:
I actually have another two questions. How do I calculate the size of the ports? And is the "golden ratio" of 1:1.6:0.6 as important as people say it is?
First q: the same way as with a hi fi speaker. Get the T/S, decide on a box size and f3 and juggle values until you get something you like. I use WinISD to get a SBB4 size box and ports, then plug that into Unibox and tweak. Both programs are free. Google them.

Q2: golden ratios are nowhere near as important as made out, especially for a bass cab. More important is the form factor, ie can you move it and get it in/out of your vehicle, up staircases and through small doorways.

PS: design it with the right driver and you may only need one. Volume displacement determines SPL, not just cone size or number of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.