2nd phono stage advice: looking at the kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

as an alternative to my tube Copland cta301 pre/phono combo I'd like to ask for advice on a 2nd phono stage that is excellent sounding. I use a MM cart only.

so far looking at three:

Boozehound
Pearl 2
K&K Audio Maxxed-Out Phono Preamp

If you are familiar with Boozehound, how good is it compared to the Pearl and K&K? I'm thinking, if it's pretty close, and you can verify this, I will go with it to start me off. Otherwise...

Pearl 2, can this be obtained with all necessary parts from one source? I don't think I can get each part separately...

Other worthy suggestions would be considered.
Thank you,
Herman

Hello,

as an alternative to my tube Copland cta301 pre/phono combo I'd like to ask for advice on a 2nd phono stage that is excellent sounding. I use a MM cart only.

so far looking at three:

Boozehound
Pearl 2
K&K Audio Maxxed-Out Phono Preamp

If you are familiar with Boozehound, how good is it compared to the Pearl and K&K? I'm thinking, if it's pretty close, and you can verify this, I will go with it to start me off. Otherwise...

Pearl 2, can this be obtained with all necessary parts from one source? I don't think I can get each part separately...

Other worthy suggestions would be considered.
Thank you,
Herman

If you can't be bothered getting the parts together from various sources then you need to choose a complete kit.

So, yes, the K&K is one contender ... but I'm not sure how it compares to the Boozehound. Also have a look at what Jim Hagerman provides (I believe he can provide the complete kits, or even half-completed kits).

Good luck,

Andy

are op-amp based phono stages, such as the ELLIOT P06 necessarily inferior sounding to the Boozehound and others mentioned here?

That is a heavily-argued issue, IMO. ;)

Sure, 2 different opamp-based phono stages can sound very different - as I see it that's to do with:
* how the circuit is implemented, and
* the quality of the components used.

But I suspect a good discrete phono stage will sound better than a good opamp-based phono stage. :)

Regards,

Andy

I tried a Boozehound kit but was very disappointed with the sound (little bass and lots of treble). I thought that I had assembled it incorrectly because other posts on the net talked about the solid bass but,....it was all built correctly. I replaced it with a Hagerman octal cornet and have been very happy since...

Andrew

cart?

I tried a Boozehound kit but was very disappointed with the sound (little bass and lots of treble). I thought that I had assembled it incorrectly because other posts on the net talked about the solid bass but,....it was all built correctly. I replaced it with a Hagerman octal cornet and have been very happy since...

Andrew

Maybe that was a cartridge compatibility issue?

Maybe that was a cartridge compatibility issue?

Or long cables or a low impedance next stage (=<10k)?

It is a simple JFET and it has a big drain res so it can't drive toooo much and will have a 3k output impedance.

I assume your tube pre is a "simple" and, obviously, discrete design so I would contrast it with the complexity of an opamp design. I'd go for the Elliot or PMA's

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/226508-openamp1-mm-phono-preamp-open-project.html

P.S. The Pearl 2 PCB could be used to first build a very simple "boozy" type (with most of the ps), then a Pearl 1, and finally a Pearl2:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...l2-pcb-but-havent-started-yet-pearl1-5-a.html

Last edited:
>>P.S. The Pearl 2 PCB could be used to first build a very simple "boozy" type (with most of the ps), then a Pearl 1, and finally a Pearl2:

can you explain what you mean by that?

Sorry, that is a bit cryptic!

The circuits are similar (gain stage, passive riaa [BH or Pearl], another gain stage) and build on each other: boozehound --> pearl1 --> pearl2. As well the Pearl2 PCB has a simple +24v reg on it, perfect for our progression.

boozehound.png
pearl1 no ps.png
pearl2.png

1) Buy the Pearl2 PCB and matched JFETs from PassDIY. Using 4 of the FETs, build a boozehound with the 24V reg. You'll have to decide on the BH arrangement of riaa components or the Pearl arrangement. Enjoy!

2) Add the extra FETs and parts for the Pearl1 like I did:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...l2-pcb-but-havent-started-yet-pearl1-5-a.html

Enjoy!

3) Add in the second stage and negative supply for the Pearl2 .... reaaaaaaally enjoy!

:cool:

Last edited:
AudioLapDance,

thanks for the response! I am not keen on reading circuits and translating that to a predictable sonic result. So I would like to ask you:

What does the Pearl 2 and Pearl 1 have that Boozhound does not have in terms of sound quality? Even theoretically. Am I going to actually use that "additional" in my application, which is using only MM cart and running the phono into line in of my pre-amp. I will NOT use the phono section to drive my amps.

So in that application will the Boozhound be just as good or does the Pearl 2 have other sonic advantages that I can use to advantage? I plan to use SLA batteries to drive this new phono stage, by the way.

thanks much,
Herman

Last edited:
Or long cables or a low impedance next stage (=<10k)?

It is a simple JFET and it has a big drain res so it can't drive toooo much and will have a 3k output impedance.

I assume your tube pre is a "simple" and, obviously, discrete design so I would contrast it with the complexity of an opamp design. I'd go for the Elliot or PMA's

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/226508-openamp1-mm-phono-preamp-open-project.html

P.S. The Pearl 2 PCB could be used to first build a very simple "boozy" type (with most of the ps), then a Pearl 1, and finally a Pearl2:

I'm not an expert in these matters....the cartridge was a denon dl-110, cables to the preamp were shortish (1m) and the preamp input was 100k.

I'm very happy with the octal cornet. Anyone want to buy a BHL? :D

Andrew

So in that application will the Boozhound be just as good or does the Pearl 2 have other sonic advantages that I can use to advantage? I plan to use SLA batteries to drive this new phono stage, by the way.

Sounds like you want to get up-and-going so go with the boozehound. Do you know the input impedance of your preamp?

At worst, it's a great little circuit that sounds good and can serve as the base for experimentation.

At best, there is some synergy between the Russian paper in oil caps and the ultra-simple circuit that make a great phono pre.

Later look at the Pass Pearl1 document:
View attachment pass pearl phono.pdf

It goes over some of the technical shortcomings of such a simple circuit and how to minimize them.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.