2nd order 3-way series xo (very rare)

IMHO, the aim of a series x-o is to COMBINE the drivers with the minimal amount of components. (sorta like a string bikini top)

With a parallel x-o you are trying to CONTROL and/or SEPARATE the drivers. (sports bra??)

Mind you, the full range guys prefer no x-o, I can see their point !!!

The main reason for using a second order series in a 2-way would be added protection for the tweeter, or to get away from the res point of something like the XT25. In a 3-way series, this should not be necessary, so a 2nd order 3-way series seems somewhat counter-productive

Sony

2004-09-10 7:16 pm
Europe
Well, the idea was not a pure 3-way series, but a 3-way series for the tweeter and midrange in paralell with a typical 2nd order branch for the woofer.
A 2-way series circuit won't work, of course, because it wouldn't provide the bandpass function for the mid-drive.

With this series+paralell setup, the woofer has its own connection and no loss of power. Tweeter and midrange have all the advantages of a series crossover.

I believe the 12dB/oct is necessary because it's important to have a low-frequency crossing between the woofer and midrange and the mid couldn't handle well the low frequencies provided by a 6dB/oct curve (1st order).

I have actually seen and listened to such a crossover and was surprised by the correct integration and overall sonic result (this goes beyond theory/fiction). Therefore, I would like to make one myself, but couldn't find any references. This will be one of my last attempts before giving up on the passive territory and going active.