24 to 48 v high Amperage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Somewhere there is a hidden way to find very inexpensive 48 volt high amperage power supplied suitable for those Sure Electronics modules that seem to be in almost everything these days. Computer bricks paralled, wheel chair chargers? I know some of you guys have found great ideas. Some of these units produce up to 600w so the amperage required is pretty hefty? Any Ideas?

Thanks, I actually ran my recording studio off of car battery's and Peavey mixers all split to multi outs that way in the 70's. Had the guys at Studio In The Country scratching thier heads??? I had great snr!! Ha!
This time I want to build some low cost small powerful hifi guitar amps, no tubes (on purpose) I need a good high current low cost find-able source. Anyone?

240V input an option? If not, keep an eye out on this ebay seller anyway, some really good stuff pops up on their shop from time to time. I almost didn't share this, so things didn't get sniped from me :p

Tyco 596B5 24VDC 125A Galaxy Switchmode Rectifier Series S1 1DC 200 240VAC In | eBay

EDIT:

For 12V, PC power supplies are a really good option. Usually 20A and up. They will do 24V if you pair with the -12V rail, but usually only at an amp or so.

Last edited:
If you want to use a PC power supply for higher voltages, a DC-DC boost converter is an option. Between a cheap PC supply and a booster you are still well under the cost of a traditional 48V supply, though you will be limited to 240W output given the 20A input limit. They can be paralleled for more output if you use diodes, but then you start hitting diminishing returns between just buying a proper 48V meanwell or similar.

1200W 20A DC Converter Boost Power Supply Module 8 60V 12V Step UP12 83V 24V 48V | eBay

Telecom rectifiers are another good option, you will have to pull them apart in a lot of cases and figure out your own wiring though, so not for everyone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nortel-Nort...094596?hash=item4d404a5344:g:kqkAAOSwc0FUounI

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.