2-3 inch driver to suit my needs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a driver for a car audio application. It will be run full range, or with a helper tweeter if needed....I was hoping people can give my some insight on what to get, if you have heard the specific drivers I am going to mention, or have any others that meet my criteria , please post your comments!

This is what I need/have:

Power: ~20-35 watts at 8 ohms, 75 at 4, 110 at 2...

Crossover: 12-18db high pass at ~3-400hz

Sonic needs: I want the driver to be as detailed as possible, but the most important thing to me is how "listenable" the driver is for extended periods of time...In other words, I want a driver that is detailed, but very laid back and non-fatiguing (little/no shouting) like the Pioneer BOFU in my home...

Impedance/sensitivity: This is obviously a big issue as it is a car audio amp that does rated power at lower impedance loads, so if it is an 8 ohm driver, I would imagine it needs to be at the very least 85+ db efficient, Fostex drivers win this area with flying colors, something like the Hi-Vi B3S probably won't be loud enough for my tastes...

Budget: I would prefer to spend around 30-40 shipped for the pair (10-15 a driver). However, if it is worth the price, I would be willing to spend as much as 30 dollars a driver...

Whew! Now on to the drivers I have selected, Again, if you have any other suggestions from other vendors, please feel free to post them:

FF85K
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_241_282&products_id=281

FE87E
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_241_282&products_id=277

Pearless 2 inch
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_241_283&products_id=8267

Tang band 2 inch
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-805

The famous Tang Band 3
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-813

Finally the Bamboo 3, which is very intriguing...
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-844

Thanks for all the help ahead of time!

Cheers,

Serg

For 2's and 3's also consider the Aura Sound items parts.

For real sound go to a 4 in if you mount em someplace.

After experimenting with the TB 871's they have to be pushed too hard for my tastes. Many car installations have coaxials which contain 2 drivers, one mounted inside the other. And car audio designed for car
tuners and amps should provide a good selection.

Check Parts Express auto sound section.

loninappleton said:
For 2's and 3's also consider the Aura Sound items parts.

For real sound go to a 4 in if you mount em someplace.

After experimenting with the TB 871's they have to be pushed too hard for my tastes. Many car installations have coaxials which contain 2 drivers, one mounted inside the other. And car audio designed for car
tuners and amps should provide a good selection.

Check Parts Express auto sound section.
Did you experiment in a car environment? Keep in mind the space is very small, so 20-30 watts will be more than enough to make my ears bleed (I have closer to 30-40 watts most likely)....

planet10 said:
The 1st FF85Ks we had were even better than we were hoping. Just ordered more so i could see how well they do before modification.

I've had W3-871 there was always something about them that bothered me. THe Aura B3 is better but not very efficent.

dave
I do not have much experience to begin with, so honestly if its something really small that only an experienced audiophile can detect, I probably won't notice it. Keep in mind I am only spending 20-30 dollars per driver, so this obviously isn't an ultra high quality install...

If you can comment on how fatiguing (or not) the driver is (both the tang band and the fostex), that would be really helpful...

I've got the w3-871s, they became much more laid back after I damped and reinforced the frame. I used plumbers epoxy putty on the basket / magnet junction, and rope caulk all over the place (particularly under the lip on the front flange). With the notch filter as well mine sound fairly mellow. With the frame damped I think you could get away without the notch filter, depending on your other components, but I wouldn't swear to it. The notch will drive up your driver costs, if you decide to use it...

I don't run them with a tweeter, but I've considered it.

I know my sub helped mine out a lot, so I imagine crossing as high and steep as you are talking about would give them a fairly easy job.

I sorta think any of these drivers would be nice enought that if I were driving around the road noise would be enough to mask the finer points these drivers would be able to recover. You may be more hardcore about the car stereo than I am tho.

I frequently think that my car stereo doesn't sound anywhere near as nice as my TB speakers, but that's stock for you...

AdamThorne said:
I've got the w3-871s, they became much more laid back after I damped and reinforced the frame. I used plumbers epoxy putty on the basket / magnet junction, and rope caulk all over the place (particularly under the lip on the front flange). With the notch filter as well mine sound fairly mellow. With the frame damped I think you could get away without the notch filter, depending on your other components, but I wouldn't swear to it. The notch will drive up your driver costs, if you decide to use it...

I don't run them with a tweeter, but I've considered it.

I know my sub helped mine out a lot, so I imagine crossing as high and steep as you are talking about would give them a fairly easy job.

I sorta think any of these drivers would be nice enought that if I were driving around the road noise would be enough to mask the finer points these drivers would be able to recover. You may be more hardcore about the car stereo than I am tho.

I frequently think that my car stereo doesn't sound anywhere near as nice as my TB speakers, but that's stock for you...

Thanks for your reply! Like you said, I figure any driver will sound pretty good in a car audio environment, especially since my car hasn't been treated with dampening mats for road noise...I think I will go with the 871 and treat the frame like you said...

I don't want to take anything away from what Dave says, cause he sure knows his stuff. But when I hear someone say 'does anyone like the w3-871?' I have to raise my hand...

Maybe when I (finally) get my Fostex based speakers done I'll be less forgiving of the T-Bs.

I am very pleased with my w3-871s in a Buschhorn that has all dimensions reduced to 2/3rd of the original. They sounded a bit harsh but it could be cured by stuffing the compression chamber behind the speaker with mineral wool. Now they are very neutral. The best test I found is human voice, especially man's sound from a radio station (e.g. reading news). That reveals every coloration and unnaturalness.

I am testing 871S NOW I am not that impressed, it does not cast a good soundstage unless you use at least 4 units a side.I suppose you need to drive it hard to produce the dynamics in the driver. I think Bamboo is better because it is paper based, but more expensive.

Furthermore, it needs a notch to remove a peak. There is lots of writeup on this subject on this forum just do a search.

one , what type of vehicle do you drive?

two , do your hear/experience any road noise in your car/truck/dune buggy...etc..????

three , if you do , to get any kind of benefit from these speakers, you will suppress any outside noises the best you can , IE, Dynamat or some generic equivalent .... w/o this and getting speakers and thinking it gonna sound great,,, well you might see some benefit, but i would do the noise suppression first and foremost.

i will think of more later....

have fun,,,

chris

oface said:
one , what type of vehicle do you drive?

two , do your hear/experience any road noise in your car/truck/dune buggy...etc..????

three , if you do , to get any kind of benefit from these speakers, you will suppress any outside noises the best you can , IE, Dynamat or some generic equivalent .... w/o this and getting speakers and thinking it gonna sound great,,, well you might see some benefit, but i would do the noise suppression first and foremost.

i will think of more later....

have fun,,,

chris
Doors and trunk have been deadened...need another $200+ to fully deaden the floor, firewall, etc...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.