1st issue digital CD releases vs streamed/downloaded later re-issues

PS: to the above
And the problem is the streamed/download ones are usually the compressed re-issue versions, as it's easier for them to get to sell/stream/download to you.
Just look at what was submitted in 2021 for dynamic range analysis, red is compressed pages of them, green is uncompressed.
https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year/desc

Last edited:
Joined 2015
Paid Member
I've put together WAV or MP3 recordings of the same thing whatever you want to play it on, of Uncompressed v Compressed immediately following each other.
Definitely the compressed version sounds duller, but the bass seems to be up. The graphic may give a hint with higher peaks and all that.

The curse of getting into higher and higher quality sound, which I am getting into, is that the difference in quality of recordings - even mp3 files - becomes painfully apparent, and I ma desperately working the EQ to get me something sounding good.

When you see a "Digitally Re-mastered" label does it make you nervous?

The curse of getting into higher and higher quality sound, which I am getting into, is that the difference in quality of recordings - even mp3 files - becomes painfully apparent, and I ma desperately working the EQ to get me something sounding good.

Why EQ? Have you measured a frequency response problem you think EQ can fix?

If your system sounds muddy, its likely not an EQ problem. However sometimes muddy sound can be subjectively improved some by putting a parametric notch filter right around 300Hz. Adjust Q and depth for best sound.