1st BIB, or diy speaker for that matter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been Klipsch+rock/metal >115db for my entire audio life, then sold everything to buy a huge jeep a while back, and ready to plunge again. I know this will be a complete 180, but my vehicles fulfill my spl needs just fine, time for something new.

What speaker?
Limitations include: should probably stay under 6ft, so length <150" =fs>46. Also, as inexpensive as possible

Fostex: 166e $130+shipping
Audio Nirvana: standard 6.5 $98+shipping

Any other suggestions?

What kind of amps do these kind of drivers like? (exclude anything that costs more than I make in a month)

Thanks,

Alex

The 166 would be the best choice of those two drivers, and the BIB cab would be a great first build to try, really easy build and surprising performance for such a simple cab.. You could also try the BVR cabs that are being built by many now or the top of the line Ron A166 Horn..

You can find these designs on Godzillas site and Planet10's site..
Dave:)

I used the 166e's and they were great for a bib,, i was using only a 3 watt set to power them ,, was very surprised with the output I had,, the cabs were made out of mdf,,, when i get the time I will make some more ,, maybe out of different materials

btw,, i first built some bk-16's of some drawings I found , and the bibs blew them away,, in one, that they were very easy to build ,a nd they sounded so much better than the blh's....

have fun

masterxela

Hello,

the Jx 92 has more Xmax,
the 166 only 0,6 mm this is in a basshorn only ~0,5 W

if you want to use 166 use it better doubled like my POSAUNE,

i did the TB 1320 in my KORNETT and think, one of my best.

all can´t get more than ~100 dB,
in normal listening rooms and distances 90 dB are very loud,
a speech has 65 dB, 90 % you won´t listen louder,
a normal log. amp poti shows 1 W impuls at "10 a clock"

Attachments

• kornettfront1kl.da.jpg
    kornettfront1kl.da.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 348
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.