15" Car Audio Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Then do exactly that.

What's happening here is its measuring some of the parameters straight away. Some of those measured parameters (resonance, Fs, for example) are a function of others (moving mass, suspension compliance (which is related to Vas)). By altering the moving mass by a fixed amount, and then looking at the change in resonance, it can work out the original values of mass to compliance, instead of just a ratio.

For a 15" car sub, I'd expect you to need at least 50g of added mass. Maybe 100g.

Chris

Test1.jpg

Hello everyone,

I just got my DAYTON AUDIO DATS V2 last tuesday, i would like to ask, how can i measure the VAS of my subwoofer using the DATS. it keeps on telling that i use a bigger added mass.

thank you in advance.

Here's how I measure VAS:

k2-_c9d4d720-ab9a-415d-b06c-c24e6b7b9916.v3.jpg

Step one : I get a hunk of mortite about the size of a golfball
Step two : I weigh the mortite on a scale
Step three : I measure my speaker using DATS
Step four : I press the mortite onto the cone of the speaker and measure it again. Note that you have to input the diameter of the cone and the weight of the mortite in DATS

Using this method, I consistently get VAS measurements which match the spec sheet, and the entire process takes less than ninety seconds. I like my DATS so much I've bought three now. (I keep blowing them up.)

Last edited:
Then do exactly that.

What's happening here is its measuring some of the parameters straight away. Some of those measured parameters (resonance, Fs, for example) are a function of others (moving mass, suspension compliance (which is related to Vas)). By altering the moving mass by a fixed amount, and then looking at the change in resonance, it can work out the original values of mass to compliance, instead of just a ratio.

For a 15" car sub, I'd expect you to need at least 50g of added mass. Maybe 100g.

Chris

It requires quite a bit. Last night I measured an 8" woofer (SoundSplinter RLI-8) and I had to add 154g of mortite.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.