which FR would you suggest to drive a 2" throat exponential horn ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Freddi,

The SB65WBAC25-4 has been a proven performer in a 1.4in throat horn. Sounds great. Sensitivity w/o horn is 84dB but around 90dB to 94dB with a horn.

More info here:
A Bookshelf Multi-Way Point-Source Horn

You need to make a small adapter with a smooth transition:
526756d1453501391-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-sb65-long-adapter-photo.png

526771d1453502400-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-xbush-throat-adapter-v3-wireframe.png

Here is response with LTH142 tractrix:
526844d1453538138-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-sb65-lth142-eq-6th-fdw-polar.png

But if you want to try a 2in throat, I would recommend something closer to the Trynergy, which is a 2in throat tractrix horn. I have used TC9FD, but think a low Qts driver with a powerful motor like the Faital Pro 3FE22-8 would be excellent. At 91dB plus 10dB more gets 101dB overall.

Simple sealed rear chamber around 1L stuffed with fiberglass is fine.

I just need something to energize a Klipsch K260 exponential horn which has a 2 inch throat. Its pretty big. This is Tony Reed's picture and the horn next to the right K260 is a K401 - the stock horn in the Klipschorn. K260 from what I heard ran 4 K55V drivers on a manifold

I would try a 2" phenolic PRV but don't know if it would play well down to 350 or so (?) - be nice to have some output as I'd like to reproduce a snare drum at a pretty good level

post-2128-13819262208834.jpg

Last edited:
Tang Band W2-800SL (now discontinued but replaced with part No. I can't recall) still have a pair somewhere....

The efficiency for a 2" is very good, lower Xmax and low Qts suit horns AFAIK, and the rising response suits OS waveguides/horns which experience a drop in FR.

Required CB back chamber volume is very small (50 to 100cc) and would suit 500Hz and up (may be a touch lower provided the horn is loading the cone enough)

Last edited:
Freddi is a dude who:

- likes it really loud
- has random gear (big amps) lying around
- sometimes blows speakers up
- wants response down to 350Hz
- doesn't have hearing to 20kHz
- doesn't have a TAD budget

...so big & cheap = good.

Too big, however, is a problem for HF. In my experience a 4" on a 2" throat gets excellent midrange dynamics, but needs buckets of EQ to reach 10kHz.

...so 3" might be more sensible for decent HF (assuming no 3D printed phase plug).

If the hypothetical 3" was going to be thermally limited, something like the Faital Pro recommended by XRC looks very good. Efficient.

If the 3" was going to be excursion limited, maybe the Aura sound?
AuraSound NS3-193-8A 3" Extended Range Driver 8 Ohm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.