What’s On the Bench Tonight (OBT)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This Diamond Buffer headphone amp as a preamp sounds really amazing. I thought I was getting great sound having my SMSL SU-9N DAC drive my Warp-1 amp directly, but adding this in the chain produced an immediate and palpable difference. The dynamics, bass depth, stereo image and overall visceral feel just improved markedly. I really love this sound. Listening to vinyl from TT and LSA Phono-01 as source also had similar improvement.
1714476701956.jpeg

Having this topology as the output buffer makes all the difference.
1714476777102.jpeg

• Thank You
Reactions: 8 users
X,

Just throwing this out there. Any possibility of getting a version of JHofland’s new Diamond buffer board to be pin compatible with the M2X bolt format? It would of course require a board redesign, but given the SMD parts there should be plenty of space. There should be enough space to add ps filtering to drop the +/-24V to +/-15V for the board itself.

Best,
Anand.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My other Diamond Buffer HPA just got some RCA outputs installed for preamp duty.
1714649711243.jpeg

Now I don’t need to use a 3.5mm TRS to RCA cable adapter anymore.
1714649755834.jpeg

This one is based on the Pocket Diamond Buffer installed inside right behind the volume pot. In fact, that’s the only mechanical mounting is the pot threaded bushing. The rest is PSU and cables inside.
The sound is of course, excellent as a preamp.

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
X,

Just throwing this out there. Any possibility of getting a version of JHofland’s new Diamond buffer board to be pin compatible with the M2X bolt format? It would of course require a board redesign, but given the SMD parts there should be plenty of space. There should be enough space to add ps filtering to drop the +/-24V to +/-15V for the board itself.

Best,
Anand.
Interesting question - I think that a PCB could be made but not sure I want to make a fully populated board. You know someone sent me a universal M2X breakout board once - something like that could definitely be used.