"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
7800/7900 series regs are more than 50yr old now. It's as jellybean a part as one could be imagined. The old datasheets are still quite valid.

...however you bought up OnSemi, and their "MC" 7800/7900 series regs are 100% compatible, but looking at her not insignificantly better performance, it's safe to say they are a newer (and likely different) design. My current preference.

I don't know how much it can affect the sound, but there are 2A schottky diodes in the rectifier, and each secondary has a snubber determined by the Quasimodo tester. That's how I do all the rectifiers now, but I haven't had a chance to compare anything without a snubber and with standard diodes vs. shottky + snubber.

Attachments

• Snubber.jpg
    Snubber.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 16
7800/7900 series regs are more than 50yr old now. It's as jellybean a part as one could be imagined. The old datasheets are still quite valid.

...however you bought up OnSemi, and their "MC" 7800/7900 series regs are 100% compatible, but looking at her not insignificantly better performance, it's safe to say they are a newer (and likely different) design. My current preference.
There are "super regulators" compatible with 78xx etc.
They promise, on paper, better performance but reach a maximum of 1.5A.
Who knows if it will be audible then.

I was thinking about Sparkos 78/79xx regulators for my Whammy but decided against it. Mostly because of the price (around $50 a piece without customs duty), and a little because of the fear that everything doesn't sound too sharp to me, like their opamp.

There are other options as well, but after this first piece, I'm not one to experiment anymore. I'm sorry that I can't use LT1963/LT3015 because of the voltage limit for LT1963 (20V), although I have those regulators and have used them successfully in DIY DAC.

Attachments

• 1963.jpg
    1963.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 1963-3015.jpg
    1963-3015.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: