SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Testing a positive reg that I built for some reason that I dont remember. I had it on the bench and played with it. It has a 5R6 current resistor and a 180 fixed and 4K trim, so wide dial in. Runs super stable at 12 volt out from a dc lab reg. It has rectifiers but they just drop voltage now. Probes in my hand is on the filter C. It has a light dummy load of 270 for test. Could use it for miniDSP maybe or something.
IMG_3689.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yes I guess I built is as a test and to use for 5 or 12 v use on the bench if needing quality juice. Its been running close to an hour now. It dropped 10 millivolt after a minute, after that it has been declaring 12,01 flat. Heatsink is cool/luke. Cool stuff.

I notice I have a zobel with a lyt on output. Probably didnt read up, just smacked in the comps. Maybe switch caps or bridge the 1 ohm.

Vdrop is 2,74 now

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If the 5.6R has precision value then the CCS runs 0.47A but the bench PSU measures 0.49A. Or its a bit smaller R.
Regarding output termination seems not bothered by the extra "ESR" from the resistor. Because so stable already.
The better modern electrolytics can have very low ESR sometimes so 1 Ohm extra does not upset the system at all.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Most possibly the 100 Euro class bench psu miss-reads current. I am suspecting you will characterize this bench psu for tolerance with few light to heavy ranging loads and a DMM in series some lazy day. But use the 10A socket only not to break an expensive mA mode DMM fuse.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There's only one transistor Vbe where that Jfet nests in so it always gives lower than full idss. Fortunately it sees say 0.6V Vbe like 1-1.2V Vds diff because Vgs is negative and Vbe is positive. Gets it barely on top of ohmic region curve for a K117GR. Kinda of a timid CCS. A Triodized Jfet if you like. :)