SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

Joined 2011
Paid Member
So if I get you right, the balanced signal out between 2 and 3 shall be double that of the generators input to SE for unity gain SE to bal. The Sonifex is opamp based with reference to PE so that makes me pretty sure that since I measured between 1 (gnd) and 2 (hot) it gave me the same result. Did I get you right?

I read this article before measuring but I am still a bit confused

https://lab2104.tu-plovdiv.bg/index.php/2019/02/28/voltage-measurement-of-balanced-outputs/

Optimal would be to solder up a 10k:10k transformer but it seems abit above and beyond

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Last photos before populating in the listening rig.
img_3790-jpeg.1310052

Trafo and first C box got some golden lining for some RFI protection. Lots of things in the air nowadays in modern homes for windings and rails to pickup. Maybe it can also give some fire protection to an eventual spark. Rails got bleeders. The transformer was placed on to-220 plastic washers under and above the metal. With the lid on I can no longer hear the transformer even with ear just next to it. Fixed with m3 bolts and locknuts.

IMG_3792.jpeg

Final voltage test before rigging. Lid made from some donor perf metal sheet.

Interconnects quick made with Vandamme shielded twisted pair digilog install cables. Shield and black soldered together on RCA side, shield unterminated in the box, red carries signal. Works like a charm.

Enjoying it while posting :)

Attachments

• IMG_3790.jpeg
    IMG_3790.jpeg
    689 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So if I get you right, the balanced signal out between 2 and 3 shall be double that of the generators input to SE for unity gain SE to bal. The Sonifex is opamp based with reference to PE so that makes me pretty sure that since I measured between 1 (gnd) and 2 (hot) it gave me the same result. Did I get you right?

I read this article before measuring but I am still a bit confused

https://lab2104.tu-plovdiv.bg/index.php/2019/02/28/voltage-measurement-of-balanced-outputs/

Optimal would be to solder up a 10k:10k transformer but it seems abit above and beyond
If between pin 2 and pin 1 XLR out you have as much signal voltage as between center pin and barrel of RCA in and same between XLR out pin 3 and pin 1 then you got gain 1.

Reactions: 1 user