Sica 5" and 6" hifi coaxials measurements

Please keep us posted how these look out of the box in terms of quality and fit/finish. The last two sets I received were a bit rough looking with some concerns of the way they were assembled. I guess for the price its a bit of a gamble. Hopefully they'll be ok.
What part of the driver were rough looking? They do look good to me, but I'm no expert in evaluating drivers, and I've never owned co-axial drivers before. I didn't notice something that caught my attention atleast.

Reactions: 1 user
Just listening to my own design with the 5.5c, sounding awesome. They are bi-amped using my Line 6 HX stomp as DSP. I'm experimenting with delay and I think I like .4 mS delay on the tweeter. Thanks for streering me to these coaxials.
Hey there.
I know its a vague question as i don`t know you so its hard to interpret what you will say but would you say the
Sica can be used as anearfield Studio Monitor? Is it Flat-ish?
I always have doubts when i see measurements of Coax speakers

Flat-ish enough? Look at the 10 deg curve of this design by Alexander Gresler!
Scherm­afbeelding 2024-02-20 om 18.39.33.png

Hey there.
I know its a vague question as i don`t know you so its hard to interpret what you will say but would you say the
Sica can be used as anearfield Studio Monitor? Is it Flat-ish?
I always have doubts when i see measurements of Coax speakers
I want to encourage you to do it, it was one of the reasons I built them, but I'm not sure what to say. The other reasons is I love to build and design speakers, and NOT designing/building around new promising drivers I read good stuff about here is a challenge for me. As of now I'm having quite a bit of static/USB noise coming thru my speakers (I think due to unbalanced amps and DAC) and while they sound good they are a bit tiresome/annoying to work on due to this. I'm also not using the best DSP for it, I'm using a line6 helix stomp guitar processor as active crossover and while I can get them sounding good with the EQ and filters inside it I hope to get some proper all balanced dsp/amp stuff for it in a while. I also dont consider me a good enough mixer to confidently promote them, too many times I'm mixing I end up with a rather bad mix, I don't know if its my hearing, my room, speakers, skills or a combination of all. I have only tuned the speakers by ear in my room and not with a mic thus far. Thanks for bringing this up I will try to find a way to check them with my measurement microphone.

duvixan: it depends on the woofers and resulting system sensitivity. I will be writing about passive crossovers aspects, as for actives my comments will not be valid, or just easy to fix.
I created 5"coax + 6,5H woofer 3way, so resulting sensitivity was around 85dB/2.83V. This worked and sounded very good. I tried to model the crossover for two 6,5H woofers in parallel, and 5.5coax midrange ran out of the sensitivity, so I decided not to try further. So for higher sensitivity 3way I would recommend 6" coax, I found it also little bit easier to work with.

I am thinking of revisiting 5"coax + 6,5H woofer 3way, making it simpler and easier to build, and publish it. As I am stuck in other projects this will take some time though.

Hello,

I am watching those coax drivers for some time, overall impression is that they are capable for good quality music.
Currently simulating 2 way BR speaker with them:
1. Can they work also in transmission line type speakers?
2. 5,5 woofer loses direction at ~3kHz and there is a dip, so maybe crossover for 5,5 should be on 3,2-3,3kHz and ~3kHz for 6,5 version? Manufacturer has recommended crossover on the site. You tried software crossover or hardware ones? Both?
3. 5,5 WinISD simulated ~8L box and 60Hz tuning should be ok-ish IMO. Is 5,5 coax good enough for at least a little bass? What box and tuning you recommend?

Thank you again for amazing review!

The effect of demodulating rings can be seen on the impedance graph in the mid and hi frequency range (demodulating ring reduces inductance of the voice coil and changes the frequency dependence)

Sica 5.5c1.5cp coax without demodulating rings
Screenshot_20240502_122534_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Sica 6.5h1.5cp mid with demodulating ring/rings
Screenshot_20240502_122503_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited: