Really disappointed with miniDSP

@dht 4 me Which software are you using here and what all did you have to do to interface directly with the car audio based board (e.g. serial / UART, BT)?

I assume from the earlier posts about PRV audio stuff that is what you are working with. I noticed a lot of these brands like PRV as you pointed out are resold under a dozen names. I actually ordered one of the "Expert" brand 8.2 which looks to be a re-layout of the PRV / Stemson 2.8, but I it was a little cheaper on Amazon and reviews of the BT smartphone software looked positive.

At the end of the day I am looking to have one or two 2-channel input DSPs to do active crossover testing, EQ, and possibly full FIR speaker / room correction and then I would hope to find a box based on these platforms that has at least 6 channels in and 8 out, though 8/12 would be truly optimal for my HT setup which has some active crossover front speakers (center is currently on a MiniDSP 2x4 HD and has a customer FIR filter from the driver manufacturer -- want to replicate this on L/R and subs) and the subs I am building really want very steep FIR based LP & HP (tapped horns that I want to get as close to a 25Hz brickwall filter and if used >80Hz will need high Q PEQ at a couple frequencies). I know car audio stuff is usually higher noise and meant for 4V, but I doubt anything competently made is noisier than the 2x4HD, though I have heard Dayton's rebranded Sure DSPs challenge that.
I used House Curve with the new Dayton USC C measurement mic. House Curve is an app that will generate the Parametric EQ filters or FIR. Then you have to input the PEQ points manually. I have a 6 channel unit that I got from China that has a 31 band PEQ with a very nice software that I am playing with and it sounds much better OOTB than the PRV. It is much harder to mod but the general layout is better and setup was much easier to get going as it is real time from a control PC.
Like anything DSP EQ greatly depends on where you take the measurements from and how you prefer the curve target response. I do not like the recommended House Curve default and prefer a Fletcher Munson inspired curve for my listening level.
Currently doing a 4 way fully active setup with 2 of the China sourced boards. Pics show the interface as I was adding channels to the build.

Attachments

• interface.jpg
    interface.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 15
  • room.jpg
    room.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 16