Pioneer PD-S06 laser head (PEA1343) no RF out

Hi to all
I've been trying to repair this excellent CD player for a few days now, with no success. It reads disks only occasionally. The disc is loaded normally and starts spinning "crazy", but the laser head remains stationary at the starting point (doesn't slide at all) and of course, there is no RF signal output. However, the laser head moves up and down trying to focus every time the "PLAY" is pressed, but I couldn't detect if the laser beam is active. I did a thorough cleaning of the lens of course. I then tried to check the laser beam with my smartphone camera placed over the lens and could only see a small and very weak red dot. I checked all voltages and they look OK. The voltage across the "LD" laser diode (pins 7 and 11 of pickup assy flex ribbon, see on the left side of attached picture) is close to 1.9 volts. The spindle motor is working, the same applies to the carriage motor. Do you think the laser diode is deficient? Attached is the circuit of the PEA1343 pickup.

Attachments

• Capture-1.png
    Capture-1.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
I have the service manual downloaded from another site, however, I tried your link but doesn't accept registering for something.
OK, as is shown in my schematic pin 1 of IC101 drives the base of Q101 which of the collector in sequence, drives the laser diode (LD). I haven't measured any current. These LDs consume 400mW but I don't know the required voltage. Anyway, do you mean that either the Q101 or the IC101 could be guilty? And not the LD?

Given the age of the unit, I wouldn't disregard the real possibility that the drive is mechanically worn to the degree it can no longer function properly due to worn bearings and such. Also, laser diodes do tend to weaken with use to the point where even adjusting the current drive can't get it to work properly. Everything wears out with use eventually.

Mike

Thanks all for the replies
Just to let you know that the laser diode indeed is degraded. I did a small surgery, disconnected its Anode from anything else, and connected it directly to external 5V power supply, in series with resistors of 27R, 22R, and 12R in sequence. In all cases, the light of diode was very weak, although the current flow was increased from 100mA to 130mA and finally to 200mA with the 12R resistor. That's all, too much work for... nothing.

Last edited:
The consume data most important is from laser diode. Laser diode consume is read indirectly from a low value resistor. Its value is from 50 to 70mA.
The other important data is laser power value. If is value is low, and laser diode power current is high, the laser diode is death.

Reactions: 1 user