Musical Fidelity FCD, A journey

1716748078029.png

Your project is interesting, but I don't understand why you want to use the Sony mechanism
Actually the KSL210 loader is quite OK, pressed steel not plastic, and just before any money saving seems to have kicked in!
The KSL150 is even nicer with a diecast laser diode. There are various types though so you need to use "image search"

The requirement to fit the original aluminium drawer front is a factor that cannot be overstated either.

But since you brought up Sony vs Philips mechanisms :eek::eek: it's a really good point, so here's why I've discounted it this time

The VAM1202 is (in my opinion) is just like the slightly later Sony series, a plastic beast :devilish: Lets be honest at this point if I were going full Philips it would be CDM4-19 and a rejig of a CD40 (or something)... I actually have a full cd-player kit based on the VAM1202 in a box, I have yet to be motivated enough to house it.

In short it looks like mid 90's Sony, Philips and everyone else got to making CD popular by removing cost :cry: to the point there aren't really any high end mechs, CD-Pro being the last one?

Anyway, I think that with some suitably 3d printed chassis add on's the KSL210 will be just fine. All the mech is doing is reading digital data in packets anyway. (Feel like I leapt on a grenade there :oops:)

Andy

Reactions: 1 user
The fact is that you should focus on one thing, the mechanics are controlled by a servo board, and the servo board is not easy to find. I would have solved this problem by recreating the servo board for the CDM12xx so I would have solved this problem, also I would have used a Musical Fidelity A3.5 CD player and completely redesigned the boards, boosting the power supply and creating various connection options, including the possibility of connecting a tube card or an external DAC. In this case the CD player firmware is stored on a PIC16F88 and therefore copyable and that's what I did. In practice I created a CD player complete with controller, servo board and various options... everything works very well.

1716817055926.png

Attachments

• E60B14DF-13CE-4A30-BCB7-30A03AD9F4A5.jpg
    E60B14DF-13CE-4A30-BCB7-30A03AD9F4A5.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 9
  • B6CF4826-3279-48D6-9B35-1EC09029668F.jpg
    B6CF4826-3279-48D6-9B35-1EC09029668F.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 7
Oooh nice :) very very nice...

The A3.5 is a good looking player too, the proportions just "click" (I have had one, and the A5CD too) I recall the A3.5 had a lot of space in the case. (good for additions)

I agree with your other comments: power supply and on so on. Same destination different route

At this point I'm 75% with TEAC CD-P4000 servo board - this will unfortunately telegraph 'non standard' because of the track grid on the display so still looking and messing with buffers

Andy

Reactions: 1 user