• The swap meet forum is for private non-commercial transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Neurochrome Modulus-86 revision 2.1, stereo amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SOLD Neurochrome Modulus-86 revision 2.1, stereo amplifier

SOLD

Shipping from zip 55110.

For sale is my build of a Neurochrome Modulus-86 revision 2.2, stereo amplifier.

Very low distortion amp using the LM3886 chip.

Amp condition is rated 7/10 due to the DIY nature of the amp.

Update 10 SEP 2017: Modulus-86 is now in Rev. 2.2. TI brought back the DIP version of the LME49710. In Rev. 2.2 I switched back to the DIP version of the IC as some builders found the TO-99 version harder to work with. This reduced the BOM cost by a few bucks too. In addition to this change, the DC servo was updated to reflect the lessons learned from the development of the Modulus-286 while shaving a little more off the BOM cost. The Modulus-86 Rev. 2.2 provides the same stellar performance as Rev. 2.1.

The amp is using an SMPS, regulated 24 volt power supply. It will output 50wpc into 4 ohms and 30 wpc into 8 ohms. No hum, no hiss, no noise.

Gain is 20db, sort of the standard.

This is a differential amp, with only xlr inputs. 5 way speaker binding posts. IEC connector for the power cord. No power cord included in sale.

Chassis is a 2U Dissipante chassis, 300mm deep. 4mm black faceplate with red LED when power is on.

Sound is clean, crisp, and free of distortion. Sounds really amazing with my 95 db sensitive speakers.

I will ship to CONUS only, I will pay for UPS insured ground shipping at my asking price.

Attachments

• IMG_9481.jpg
    IMG_9481.jpg
    723.9 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_9482.jpg
    IMG_9482.jpg
    1,019.1 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_9483.jpg
    IMG_9483.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_9484.jpg
    IMG_9484.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_9485.jpg
    IMG_9485.jpg
    770.6 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
For those looking, this is an incredibly underrated amplifier for the performance. Other than max power (and the buyer can get more power by using higher DC rails either from an SMPS or linear supply), this amp leaves almost nothing to be desired if what one wants is a pure low distortion design. It has excellent specifications, including an output impedance of only a few milliohms so it can drive nearly any speaker, and a spectral harmonic distortion profile that is extraordinarily clean of higher order harmonics.

Bump for a great build and a super low price; hope it finds a new home soon.

Best,
Anand.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.