DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

I noticed your comment about the temperature issues. It seems like the heatsinks you're using are undersized to startwith. If you had larger or more adequate heatsinks, you likely wouldn't experience those higher temperatures than you expected. This also means you could mount your transistors in either orientation (up or down) without worrying about unbalanced temperature
I agree with yours comments. We described the same problem with different words... That's why i put external Pwm fan on heatsinks. Now i run the amplifier at 2x59V on limits (speakers 4Ω 300W) with thermal safety ...not above temp 45 C on heatsinks 27.5cm x 16cm x5 cm with temp room also 30C...with this way keeps the bias also rock steady at 40-45mv.(not transferred extra heat inside the box and minimize the bias).

Attachments

• IMG_20230930_202225.jpg
    IMG_20230930_202225.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I've been playing around with the new hypex SMPS with promising results. Unlike older hypex models, this one includes a host of convenience features such as PFC, 130kHz switching, 12V trigger inputs, inputs for both momentary and latching power-on/off switches, 5V standby always-on power supply, outputs for standby and run LEDs among more.

Noise floor - wolverine - 1 channel - in complete chassis. 96khz sampling

noise floor ps500diy wolv ef3-4.jpg

Same again with 192khz sampling - I have yet to get my head around getting 384khz sampling to work on windows and REW. The 16khz is USB packet noise, I have proven this.

192khz noise floor ps500diy wolv ef3-4.jpg

1khz, 5W into 8ohm. 96khz sampling. (96 is more stable, 192 often hiccups). Reminder - visible harmonics are from my DAC

ps500diy 5w8r.jpg

I'm certain the 50 and 3rd noise is from the incoming AC line or the AC line rectifier and using shielding could have some improvement. Starting to look good for 95dB+ sens speakers.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Guy's

Just a quick update,

The boards have arrived and they look great.

Please give us a few days to prepare for shipping, then you should receive your paypal request.

Not long now guy's thanks for your patience and support of the Wolverine project.

Attachments

• 20240531_061951.jpg
    20240531_061951.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Thank You
Reactions: 5 users
Joined 2016
Paid Member
The SMD cap, underneath the electrolytic, or underside of board? So there are now 6 caps total here?
The SMD caps are located on the underside of the board as shown below.

The idea is.

1. If you don't like SMD soldering then just install the 2 THT electrolytic capacitors and the two THT film caps, all top side.

2. If your happy to solder SMD then install the 4 THT electronic capacitors top side and the 2 SMD film capacitors on the underside.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240531_084208_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240531_084208_Photos.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: 1 users
The microprocessor based upgrade of my amplifier as described in message #3622 is now done and build into the amplifier. I am very satisfied with the result. The fact that the amplifier is now well secured, switches on and off discreetly, and the luxury that this takes place automatically, contributes to the quality experience.

I also took the opportunity to give the amplifier it's own name, Wolverine translates in Dutch and German language to respectively Veelvraat and Vielfraß (eats lots), both have a negative connotation within their language area. This amplifier deserves a name that reflects her quality, so I now call her Apotheosis, meaning; elevated to divine level.

Amp-2.jpg

Amp-1.jpg