Computer CD / DVD players?

Any computer reads CD / DVD from the transport at 16x or faster speed, buffers the data and uses error detection / correction to verify the data is perfectly read from the disk if it is at all possible. So it's bit for bit perfect from the disk if the disk does not have too much damage. The error correction can actually get perfect bit for bit data from disks with a small amount of damage. So " good parts or basically junk?" I'm not sure what the question is.

Are the transport / supporting hardware worth tinkering with as it pertains to use for audio applications. OR, are they not worth the effort.
It's a device that reads data perfectly from the disk. If you do a little searching on google you can even figure out how to run it at any speed you like, 2x or 3x or 5x so it isn't noisy. I rip disks to the computer and play everything from there. "not worth the effort"??? It works perfectly, how can you improve on that by "tinkering". I guess you could change the capacitors and break it. What is the flaw you are trying to correct? I guess I have no idea what you are asking.

I see I have not been clear, My apologies. I am about to literally throw them on the scrap metal load in the back of the "junk yard run pickup." I was just wondering if I might be ditching anything more than just a fun motor. I have no need that I am trying to fill.

Thanks for the responses.
Jeremy

Reactions: 1 users
Are the transport / supporting hardware worth tinkering with as it pertains to use for audio applications. OR, are they not worth the effort.
Many multimedia CD drives have a headphone output (or a 3-pin connector at the back) along with buttons (play, stop, next etc.) on the front. Such drives could be used as standalone CD players, but still no idea what (kind of) DACs these might have inside of them.

1715658549254.png

Reactions: 1 user