CamillaNode : A web based UI alternative to control CamillaDSP as PEQ

Hey All,

TL;DR: camillaNode is an open source, free to use CamillaDSP control interface specifically built to function as a parametric EQ with AutoEQ integration, and is available on GitHub via the link here.

Long story short, I was looking for alternative UI to control CamillaDSP as a simple equalizer for various headphones I use during the day, and started an investigation to find out what are my options. That investigation turned into a small project to develop an interface that works as a basic PEQ with AutoEQ integration, called CamillaNode, which is available on GitHub for anyone interested.

CamillaNode can run on the same device that runs CamillaDSP, or you can run it from your other PC/Mac/Linux machine to control the DSP running on another machine.

I have very recently added also a web version, which can be used directly from the web without installing any apps

This is a bit of a copy paste from https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ternative-to-control-camilladsp-as-peq.44745/ and I am not sure if there is any interest in this forum in such a solution so for the time being I will leave this here and if there is any interest, I'd be happy to go into more details.

1687289960694.png

Reactions: 1 user

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
On the other hand I see now that I don't like the way it sets up the control - in this way you can see every single thing I'm doing on my audio system - no thank you.

I'll wait for the native Camilla equaliser that will come in next release.

//

Sorry, I am not sure If I get your concern fully.

If you are worried that your configurations are exposed somehow, worry not. Your configurations are saved on your SBC on the node.js version. On the web version they are saved on your browser. Nothing is stored about you or your CamillaDSP configuration on the internet. All the code is available for you to check and validate if you want.

On how to try it:
  • Make sure CamillaDSP is configured with -a 0.0.0.0 option. That links the built-in websocket server to the external IP of your SBC. By external IP I mean external to the SBC, still on your LAN and not exposed to internet.
  • Simply navigate to http://ntxrx.com and enter the local IP address of the computer running CamillaDSP and the websocket port number and click save
That is it. You don't need to do or install anything else.

As I said, no information is stored on the web and all configurations and settings are stored in the browser you use.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK!

But I don't feel safe or to be dependent on surfing to (the unsecure connection) http ://ntxrx.com every time I would like to change volume in my system. Its just a too large security concern for me. What if your site or my internet is down - no music?

//

For the Web version, you might lose the ability to make changes as you said however your music will continue to play, and your devices will function normally even if your internet connection is interrupted. If you want you can download the webpages and run it on your computer as well, there is no specific reason why it needs to be on the internet. Alternatively, you can use the node.js version as well of course which will have no reliance on internet to work and will offer a bit more control.

Since wonderful CamillaDSP was updated to version 2.x, I wanted to also update CamillaNode, both to make it compatible with version 2 but also to add some features I wanted to have for a while.

As of May 2024, most of these features are in development pipeline, but basic CamillaNode is up and running with some added functionality, most important of which are:
  • A 30 band spectrum analyzer, heavily inspired by CamillaDSP Monitor
  • A setup script that makes it very easy to install and configure everything.
Here are a few screenshots:
1715529614190.png

1715529631401.png

Speaking of setup script, in order to get up and running, you need to do the following:
  • Setup a fresh system with the OS of your choice, using your favourite ARM based single board computer, setup the wifi and connect to it via ssh.
  • Connect your DAC and check the device name of your DAC using aplay -l
  • Run the following command :
  • This will update your system, install npm, CamillaNode and download all the installation files and scripts to the computer.
  • Once that is done, go to camillanode folder, and run the following command :
sudo bash install.sh
  • It will ask you for your username, input and output device names, and will set up everything accordingly, including downloading, installing and configuring CamillaDSP.
That is it. All setting up of audio gadgets, creation of configurations, setting up of services etc. will be done by the script. Just reboot the computer and enjoy using it.

If there is an updated version of CamillaNode, you can get it by simply running
sudo bash update.sh

I have tested using OrangePi Zero 2 and Armbian and it works perfectly. If you run into any problems do let me know.

Version 2.0.30 is out now and can be downloaded from github. Check post above for instructions.

If you already have CamillaNode, just run sudo bash update.sh in camillanode folder to update to latest version.

What is in this release:
  • Separate EQ for Left and Right is full functional and (hopefully) bug free now. If you can switch to multi channel EQ from a single channel setup, the app splits the filters to both channels for them to be adjusted separately.
  • Advanced tab shows all the details of your configuration, and allows for direct manipulation of parameters as you wish.
  • Added a floating spectrum analyzer feature - if you double click on the analyzer on Equalizer tab, a small window pops-up with the analyzer on it, which you keep on your screen for your own entertainment.
What is still to be built:
  • Advanced tab is not bug free, especially for filters other than Biquads.
  • Room EQ section is yet to be built. Any input on the features required is much welcomed.
  • Tool is not mobile friendly at all at thus moment. That will need to be fixed.
Here are a few screenshots... I like it purple these days.
1716642970064.png

1716642984035.png

1716642994995.png

Reactions: 1 users