Best DIY desgin from these suppliers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I want to upgrade my L - C - R channels. Right now I am using a DIYSG Fusion 6 (TM for L and R and MTM for C) which is a Faital 6FE100 with a Denovo Audio DNA-150 CD in a EOS6 Waveguide. Sadly I've never got the sound I wanted from them (tried ported, not ported, bigger box, etc.), so I would like to upgrade with a new DIY design from:

DIY SOUND GROUP
Madisound Portal
Meniscus Audio

What you would say it's the very best design from these suppliers, having into account the following conditions:

-. under USD$400 for a pair (not consider the center channel and not considering shipping)
-. will be used only for movie watching in a small room (not sound treated) at moderate levels
-. distance is quasi-nearfield @ around 1,75 meters from L and R speakers
-. speakers will be powered by a standard sony AVR (+6ohm required)
-. a third speaker could work as center channel also (If needed I can mount it horizontally or vertically).
-. already have subwoofers for bass duty
-. preferred bookshelf although floor-standers are a possibility
-. space is constrained, so they will be placed near a wall (15-20 centimeters)

Jeff Bagby's designs (Sopranos, Continuum II and SB Revolutions Mini) are the ones I am more inclined to, but Paul Carmody's Classix II are also a possibility. I know I would probably won't go wrong with either of them, but I am interested in another opinion/experience.

Looking forward to your help and opinions!

Paul Carmody's Overnight Sensations are worth considering. He's designed them as bookshelf speakers, as MTM and TMM speakers, and as a center channel.

Speaker Kits 3 - Meniscus Audio

Thanks for your reply.

I am sure the OS are great for the price, but I am looking for a real upgrade from where I am now, that's why I aimed for the Classix II from Paul Carmody. The Speedsters also look great but they are 4 ohm.

Regards

The Faital 6FE100 has Fs = 61Hz and Qts = 0.54, which requires a large 1.5cuft ported cabinet tuned to a 40Hz bass-shelf alignment to produce 40Hz bass.
====
Meniscus Audio has the SB_Acoustics TRIBUTES for $305 - $350 per pair which use SB_Acoustics 6" poly-plastic cone midrange + 1" soft dome with a 0.7cuft ported cabinet. This design uses a series crossover to produce flat phase response with a simple flat front baffle. Smooooth Sound.
====
Designers at Parts Express developed a 0.7cuft ported SB_Acoustics using a 6" paper cone midrange drivers and 1.1" dimpled dome tweeter, with a parallel crossover. Standard tone and SPL tuning. I can post crossover schematic if you are interested.
====
There are recent threads with SB_Acoustics 6" ALUMINUM cone + 1" ALUMINUM dome promising better transients from these stiff cones. Under $400/pair for parts. Looks over designs using a BW3 crossover circuit on the tweeter and LR4 crossover circuit on the midrange in a 0.7cuft ported cabinet. ALL reviews of these drivers are very positive, and personally I would build this diyAudio design. I can post crossover schematic if you are interested.

SB17NAC35-4 midrange
SB26ADC-4 tweeter

I've been looking at the same set of choices from Jeff Bagby. The Soprano is very small. Only a 4" mid woofer and may be lacking in power compared to the others.

You might want to look at the Piccolo, which uses SB drivers with a 5.9" mid woofer. It's about the same size and price as the Continuum II.

For being placed close to the wall the Continuum II could be good choice, since it is sealed.

The SB Revolutions Mini are over $500 per pair and outside your expected price range.

The Tributes kit seems interesting, it is a waste though the woofer potential is being left unused, cabinet measuring 14 litres only. Should have been a 35-40 litres floor standing loudspeaker. At least it should have been offered as an alternate option to a bookshelf variant.

Thanks to you all for your replies and recommendations.

@LineSource
Ragarding the Faital 6FE100, my problem it's not with the bass and primarily not with the woofer, but with the EOS6 waveguide and the CD, as they sound muffled and muddy (tried toe in, no toe in, aiming towards ears, etc.) If I compare them with a 0.4x Karlsonator with a Faital 3FE25 FR speaker, it like hearing the higher frequencies with a closed window between. All three speakers (2xTM and 1 MTM) sound the same, so it seems it's not a XO assemble problem... IDK maybe I've got 3 bad compression drivers.

Do you have a link to the diyAudio design? So I can read some hearing impressions, etc.

@classicalfan
The Piccolo looks nice, even in the write up from Jeff Bagby seems like he had a good time listening to those speakers. I will add them to the list of possible speakers.

Regarding the Sopranos, I though about the MTM version, as it is 8ohm and it also have more surface than 6" TM designs.

Most of these are vented enclosures, and as they will be located very close to a wall (right channel is in a corner!) I can move the port to the front, it seems will not affect the speaker design.

Finally, the Tributes and the Piccolo look like they are very good for listening to music, but this is also valid to movie listening at moderate levels? Can I expect good dynamics and clear voices and that sort of thing?

If one of your main concerns is clear dialogue for movies, then perhaps you should start with optimizing the center channel first and building the rest of the system up from it.

Most of the options discussed here so far have been optimized for stereo music listening. Adding a center channel using different drivers as an afterthought might not give you a satisfying solution.

If one of your main concerns is clear dialogue for movies, then perhaps you should start with optimizing the center channel first and building the rest of the system up from it.

Most of the options discussed here so far have been optimized for stereo music listening. Adding a center channel using different drivers as an afterthought might not give you a satisfying solution.

My idea is to have the same speaker for L-C-R

Lots of positive press

Zaph Audio's SR-71 two-way bookshelfs.

Zaph|Audio SR71 Kit - Pair - Parts Only

From Meniscus, the Jeff Bagby "Spirit Wind" if they can get it for you, is an absolutely fabulous design. I'm fortunate to own the first iteration of Jeff's design and it's a keeper. Meniscus lists the kit as unavailable, but that may be because the Audio Technology woofer is somewhat difficult to obtain. If you're interested, I'd contact Meniscus to get the story from them.

The Tributes kit seems interesting, it is a waste though the woofer potential is being left unused, cabinet measuring 14 litres only. Should have been a 35-40 litres floor standing loudspeaker. At least it should have been offered as an alternate option to a bookshelf variant.

Example of a few different cabinet sizes for 6" SB_Acoustics SB17NRXC35-8 midwoofer to illustrate Lojzek's comment of cabinet size vs. Boom Boom.

Attachments

• SB17NRX_8   SB29_MLTL.jpg
    SB17NRX_8 SB29_MLTL.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 618
Example of a few different cabinet sizes for 6" SB_Acoustics SB17NRXC35-8 midwoofer to illustrate Lojzek's comment of cabinet size vs. Boom Boom.

Those are Troels Gravesen designs?

The y look great. Already contacted him for a recommended speaker, but shipping from Jantzen audio to my country it's too expensive! I am looking for a USA supplier as I have a forwarding address over there...

The Zaph audio Sr-71 lloks very good too, will add them to the final list.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.