12v to 60v, 0v and -60v circuits

Hello, ive got a nice little amp that needs a ~500w dual rail supply ( has a -60v output, a 0v “virtual ground” output, and a +60v output)

Does anyone know of a relatively simple circuit to take my 12v and split it to a 60v, 0v, 60v output? preferably with soft startup and control feedback? have a milling machine, so can etch pcbs pretty well.
I have seen a few designs that use the tl494 that look good, however im not very confident with transformers so it really handy if you recommend a transformer with said schematic (or, i dont mind winding one)

[solved]

Last edited:
No, it is a step up circuit, the input is 12v, which would likely oscillate through a transformer with a primary and dual secondary, outputting 60v, 0v, and -60v. The title lacks info.
Yes, it will be used in a car to make use of a 12v battery, and supply a dual rail amp that needs 55v, 0v and -55v

It is clearly a car amp power supply, what else?
:)

as of specs:
nice little amp that needs a ~500w dual rail supply
those words do not go together in the same phrase ;)

Neither:
relatively simple circuit to take my 12v and split it to a 60v, 0v, 60v output? preferably with soft startup and control feedback
besides the 500W requirement that is :cool:

The easiest 12V setup for someone without much experience would be a 12V 1kVA sinewave inverter powering a transformer with 60V secondaries...

1716278248674.png

Thanks for the help everyone, i gave up on 12v to dual rail thing, as everyone said it is a little complicated for me at the moment. Found a bargain toroid transformer that can handle 600w and has dual secondaries, so ended up just milling a rectifier and wiring up to the transformer, then printed a amp case. I have a great home subwoofer amp now though which is nice :)

I have managed to make the 12v to 60-0-60, converter, milled it out and have some pretty good results:
IMG_0564.jpeg

The reason it was not working before was simply bad breadboard connections, the circuit works well now milled out of fr4 pcb board, however my tranformer is not wound very well so im only hitting +/-41v at the moment. Happy to drop the gerber files if anyone is interested
Exact circuit diagram that i am using:
IMG_0565.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
here is the board and schematic file:
Also, if your planning on making it i don't really recommend it as it still has issues:
  • no feedback (i would love if someone could let me know how to implement this)
  • because there is no feedback and because the transformer is hand wound, you can get strange output voltages with one side lower, e.g 45v-0v-55v
  • for some reason, is drawing 5 amps at 8v with no load on secondary of transformer (this doesn't seem right, if any can see an issue causing this :))
  • pcb traces that lead to mosfets source or drain need soldering otherwise they will burn out.

pic.PNG

pic2.PNG

Attachments

• single to dual.zip
    100.4 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: 1 user