• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Two Tone Betsy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finally got around to completing something that has been on the drawing board for the past several months .....

Betsy_twotone_small.JPG

The baffles are made from Cambia ash hardwood ..... the center section is the normal coloration and the outside sections have been "thermally modified" by the supplier to darken them. The finish is linseed oil / beeswax.

Larger photo here.

I have plans in the future to offer some additional two tone baffles using various hardwoods ..... some of them "exotic" ..... :)

Happy listening,
Randy

Wow, that looks amazing!

Randy, I got those sapele flatpaks all done and I learned one thing: compared to plywood, hardwood is quite unforgiving of being torqued wrong. In mounting the baffle to the base I cracked the sapele for about 3-4" above the center screw. I was pretty bummed out, but I highly doubt it will effect the sound at all.

Hi cipriano,

Wow .... I am so sorry to hear that ..... :(

Before I ship a flat pack kit, I run the mounting screws through the baffle into the base to make sure everything fits properly and to create a "pilot hole" in all of the components.

When I assemble a "prebuilt" pair of speakers, I use Gorilla wood glue between the back of the baffle and the poplar base and my cordless driver has a torque adjustment that just snugs up the head of the screw inside the mounting hole in the baffle.

Right now, I have a couple of potential customers who want flat packs in Sapele and your experience has convinced me to pass on the sales unless they are willing to change their orders to one of the plywoods that I normally offer for flat packs.

I think you are correct that the crack in the baffle will not affect the sound, but the thought of an unhappy customer is something I do not take lightly.

Please email me at my company address on my website and we will work something out ..... :)

Best wishes,
Randy

Hey Randy,
This is actually Nathan from UT.

I could look closely all day and not see where the splits/cracks occurred. And really it was my fault, I was trying to do it too fast. If I had slowly drilled the screws in, working them each in 1/4" at a time it would have been fine.

And the splits in the Sapele didn't reach the speaker cutout, so I think structurally they are good. I'll send a picture when my drives arrive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.