• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Gold plating.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Astute readers may have seen direct and indirect references to the origin of the Betsy and BetsyK, or at least, have been able to guess about it. I suspect Doug's question is largely tongue in cheek. But the original BetsyK was a version of a previously commercially available product with the bling removed and the price cut in half. The name was deliberate as well. Donkeys do the job pretty well (perhaps better than other comers), but gold-plated they are not!

Paul

Why ain`t more people using Betsy.....

Hi to all.:D

After receiving my pair of the Betsy - I soon get them into my OB-version. and the result is like I posted on the MultiWay Forum:

(Copied from there)

As a fullrange user and partly builder of audio systems I have been interested in OB-builds for some time, and took the chance 1 month ago to get me some Betsy 8 inch drivers to try out.
And the result is amazing - clear and enveloping sound that is more musical than my BR Alpair12P. The Alpairs is more HiFi with a clever, distinct lightning sound. But the Betsy is more easy and good to my musical ears(mind). They both give a 3D organic sound.

My Audio SetUp is: Sony SaCd player - A homemade Metrum Transient DAC - A homemade Luminaria (SIT classA) preAmp - Mono LÀmp (Resistorversion with SIT transistor).

Now I maybe have to find some OB woofer? to get more punch in the lower reals. Maybe - but not realy needed. Time, work and health must decide....

And today I can`t understand why there ain`t more people using these very nice drivers in their project. Supply them with a woofer & maybe a tweeter and it is a fullrange system that is made of GOLD. Today I play them more than my FHXL Alp10.2 and Alp12P.
My FHXL is connected to a HarmanKardon HD980.

Happy New Year and thanks to Wild Burro and Douglas for the fine support.

Best

Olav

Attachments

• 20161229_121026.jpg
    20161229_121026.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 406
  • Backside 60sss.jpg
    Backside 60sss.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 409
  • CloseUp1.jpg
    CloseUp1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 419
  • New build.....jpg
    New build.....jpg
    98 KB · Views: 401
  • Old style.jpg
    Old style.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 412
  • pre-finished.jpg
    pre-finished.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 182
  • with SIT`s & Metrum.jpg
    with SIT`s & Metrum.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 176
Looks good Michael

Something like that Yea. I now tries mine with Dayton MiniAMT with 1 uF WimaCap. Should be around 12000 Hz. And with tweeters right on the sitting position and the Betsy stright out. Very good. But maybe a BG Neo3 (or a Mundorf AMT dipol) with a cap at around 7 kHz. Used in dipole and as supertweeter. Simple and with the open soundstage more like a electrostat.

Or just keep it like it is - already super - and with a DSP controlled Subwoofer.

Time will tell. First get back to job and then maybe some building when things are more in line....:yinyang:

Best
Olav

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.