• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Metronome or other?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,

New to this group, but from what I've read online, I really like the Betsy and Betsy-K speakers. Great sound and great value.

Moving soon, not bringing any of my old stereo stuff with me (too big and old - ancient gear from the '90s). Going to build all new. Looking for really high efficiency (hoping to be able to use a SET amp eventually, probably starting out with a gainclone), so that steers me more towards the Betsy-K.

Has anyone put one into a metronome? Info can be found at frugal-horn.com. They have designs for metronomes with FR speakers from 4.5" up to 12". The Betsy-K seems a natural for this, but I still don't know enough about matching parameters, MLTL theory, etc., to be confident that I won't be tweaking for months to get something I can listen to. And until I have speakers and amp working, I'm listening to my Logitech Z4 system on my laptop.

I have a ton of other thoughts, things like building a metronome but making it triangular (no right angles inside, so no corner reflections and nodes - there will still be nodes, but not from corners and edges), or putting a large baffle around the speaker outside the TL to reduce (or even eliminate if things work out well) the need for a baffle correction circuit, etc. And while it's not right for the rooms I'm moving into, doing a bipole version with 2 Betsy-Ks per speaker also makes economic and audio sense, but would require more power. Finally, I started looking over the Metronome thread on the Full Range board of DIY audio, but at 107 pages (as of 8/7/13), it's a bit much to digest at one sitting.

Any advice appreciated, and looking forward to building stuff again.

Regards,
Martin
-----
Observe, predict, modify, repeat.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.